This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographer's Rights

Here are some links to photographer's rights (source:dps)

Photographer's Rights card

Photographer's Guide to Privacy

USA Today Article

The Model Release(Very Detailed)

Legal Rights of Photographers (PDF)

California Photographer's Right's and Laws
    Last edited by rowelld; 03-16-2007, 02:04 PM.

Re: Photographer's Rights

Very Nice.... Sticky Time:

Comment

Good stuff to know, thanks
      My Gallerys at :www.dale.zenfolio.com

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
      "If you seek Peace, Prepair for War."

Comment

Thanks, it is good to know our rights as photographers.

Comment

Unfortunately, most of the private security personnel guarding public buildings (such as the Horton Plaza Mall) aren't aware of these rights. Ever since 9/11, they seem to think everyone with a camera is a terrorist.

This recent article in the Union/Tribune puts it into perspective.

Comment

An issue I see is, when armed with their "rights", many photographers will insist on shooting something even if asked not to, solely because they have the "right".

They may not even really want the shot, but will insist on taking it because they have the "right", and will refuse to be told they can't shoot it. Unfortunately, I've seen too many instances where someone allowed their "rights" to over-ride their sense of decency.

I've seen these "photographers rights" threads pop up, from time to time, on various forums, and my opinion remains unchanged. Decency, civility, and decorum should prevail...
            Canon 40D w/BG-E2N
            Canon 20D w/BG-E2
            Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L
            Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
            Canon 85mm f/1.8
            Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
            Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3

My Website

Comment

When they dont "prevail" you have a Paparazzi . my opinion of Paps are they are Bottom feeders and well I wont go there for fear of going off on the Low lifes.
              My Gallerys at :www.dale.zenfolio.com

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
              "If you seek Peace, Prepair for War."

Comment

Even though we have the "rights" I do respect people's request, no matter how rude they are when approaching you. If someone did not want to take pictures then by all means.. I'll stop. To me, it's not worth it to waste the time and put my equipment at risk.

Comment

Good stuff indeed.

Has anyone ever had problems taking pictures? I was downtown a few weeks ago and saw a 'mime' so I decided to take some pics. I didn't here him at first but a friend who was with me told me that he was shouting at me to stop taking pictures and also said that's how fights start? Huh?

Apart from being un-mimely, I thought I was able to take pictures of anyone in a public place as long as the pictures are not for commercial use?

Thoughts?

Comment

As a 24/7 Security Supervisor at a MLB stadium and as I photographer, I know the rights on both sides and I make sure my crew knows it as well. You're right that it sucks that most photog's get treated like terrorist especially at places where large amounts of people gather. However, that's the world we live in nowadays. We get weekly threat updates from everyone from the commissioners office, FBI, DHS... etc... All these updates include a lot of stuff not to be released to the public but let me tell you it gets very detailed.

I'm really tired of everyone bashing security on photography forums (not here). Look, I'll flat out admit that there is a lot of IDIOTS who work security but then there's those of us who do take pride in what we do and try to do it to the best of our ability. I work at the stadium doing what I do because I love the team and I love the excitement. I could be doing something else where people actually respect you instead of thinking "rent-a-cop" as soon as they see you. But this job fits me for now and I still enjoy working there.

What I don't need to deal with is the stuck up attitude that most photographers have. Myself and my crew are well trained and are not on a vendetta against photographers. If I come out to chat with you then I have a good reason to do so. I'm going to treat you with respect and I expect the same in return. I'm going to tell you that the ballpark's image is copyrighted and that you'll need to get written permission to do anything even remotely commercial with the shots. If you wanna start giving me crap, then I start giving you crap. You tell me that you're going to do whatever you want with the image, then I'm going to get your name and basic info and forward it on to the legal department so when you do something commercial with the image they know where to drop the lawsuit. That's it. On the other hand, if I get respect back and the photographer understands and agrees then all is great, I'll even point out some of the interesting angles and less common photos that they can take and then give them a business card for the forum.
                    Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
                    Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

I don't have a problem with any of that Marshall and i agree that there do have to be ground rules however ludicrous they may seem at times. However, I don't think that some guy with white paint on his face can threaten me with a fight for taking pictures on a public street. My first thought was, "What is he so worried about? What is he hiding?"

As for security, I've never had a problem with them at all probably because I think before I take a photo .

Good discussion!

Comment

Originally posted by Peasap View Post
                        Good stuff indeed.

Has anyone ever had problems taking pictures? I was downtown a few weeks ago and saw a 'mime' so I decided to take some pics. I didn't here him at first but a friend who was with me told me that he was shouting at me to stop taking pictures and also said that's how fights start? Huh?

Apart from being un-mimely, I thought I was able to take pictures of anyone in a public place as long as the pictures are not for commercial use?

Thoughts?
                        I think I know which mime you are talking about. Those types of people want to get a tip for what they do. If you want to get a decent picture out of them then go ahead and give them some change. Other than that... snap away haha.

Comment

Snap and run! Snap and run! AH HA HA HA HA!
                          Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
                          Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

LOL, that's what I did pretty much. He was near the bottom of the escalators at Horton Plaza.

Comment

There is a guy who plays the guitar @ Balboa Park with no arms. He is uite amazing and goes by the name "Big Toe"

I seen him on youtube and made a point to go just to watch him play. While talking with him allot of people were snapping away and I with cam in hand dint even try to take pics, One guy was nice enough to ask him if he could take a photo of him and the words straight from him were this "Thank you for asking, I dont mind photos. It only bugs me when they dont ask or try to be sneaky"

Those entertainers actually have permits to perform. But yes you can since you are in public , but for m that was not the time to take his photo, (Time and Place for everything)

But I will get his pic one of these days...Snap-Run..... haha

Comment

Working...
                              X