This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you get started?

I just want to read on how everyone here gained interest in photography. As for me, Theres just something about the camera I love. I like being behind the scenes, observing, capturing emotion and detail. I first bought my own camera not even that long ago and it was a manual film camera. I think a Pentax K1000.. probably covered in dust right now.

Re: How did you get started?

Great idea for a thread Rowell. As for me... I got started when I was a young teen. Just fell in love with the idea of being able to freeze a moment in time forever.
    Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
    Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

For me, Well along time ago, I owned my own Custom Harley shop up in Orange County and was working myself to an early grave, so on Sundays I would fire up the old Chopper I had and take a "putt" for the Day......Just go where ever the front wheel took me, I stopped at this yard sale to have a stretch of the leggs and this old woman sold me a Yashika GSN electro 35 MM camera with so much stuff I had to really work hard to find room in my saddle bags for it all..........for $10.00 !!! well, Sundays was my day and it just seemed natural to me, but I spent a small fortune on film and developing, I got into shooting my customers and theyre new Custom Motorcycles and over the years learned alot about photography and kept at it for along time, and gave up the old Camera and gear for other things more important to me at the time.........untill....Digital came into being and well.....here I am.
      My Gallerys at :www.dale.zenfolio.com

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
      "If you seek Peace, Prepair for War."

Comment

seems like i've been shooting photos forever. i really enjoyed photography class in high school and getting to develop my own photos in the darkroom. i shot photos for our hs paper and yearbook too. i got my first nice 35mm in the mid 70's and i still have it! never thought i would enjoy digital photography until my husband surprised me with a digital camera about 4 years ago.

Comment

complete accident...

a friend of mine had a nice camera and took some cool photos. one day all of us went out to lunch and had a few drinks. my competitive side took over and next think I knew, I was on my way to frys to buy a camera. didn't know what kind, just as long as it was better than hers. this was in September of 2005. fast forward to February of 2006. i received an email from playboy magazine's assistant photo editor matt steigbigel. he saw one of my photos on the internet and wanted to use it for an article in an upcoming issue. that photo landed me a 2 page spread in the July 2006 issue of playboy and it also happend to be the first time I had been published. not too bad for an unedumacted white boy. after the playboy issue was released, I started to get approached by agents in Hollywood wanting to represent me. I finally decided to sign with super agent Ian Kimbrey and Scott Mckiernan's Zuma press as my representative in all matters regarding my photography. after hooking up with Zuma I decided to subscribe to the Hollywood newscalendar (http://www.newscalendar.com) and covering celebrity arrivals and red carpets. i have always been fascinated with celebrities. in the 2 years that I have been a photographer, I have achieved some goals that some photographers only dream about. im the luckiest guy alive. what started out as a hobby/obsession, turned into a career for me over night. I never imagined in a million years that i'd be where I am today when I first picked up a camera a little less than 2 years ago.

Comment

Well, my story was out of revenge actually. I have dark skin and hated the way people would take pictures of dark skinned people and all you could see was teeth and eyes. Everyone thought that was funny except me. I knew I wanted to take pictures to show everyone that dark skin didn't need to come out like tar. My first camera took 126 film and I got it from selling boxes of greeting cards door to door. I waited weeks for that little camera to show up and always asked my mom for film and those little 4 sided flash bulbs. I used (& let people use) that little camera for years and never had one roll of film developed. I was a kid and after film and flash bulbs with my little allowance, there was nothing left for processing. Fastforward to my buying my first 35mm Canon AE-1 with my Montgomery Wards credit card. I didnt' even know how to put film in. I went to the little Fuji film kiosk downtown and purchased a roll and then asked the gentlemen to load the film. First he showed me the little plastic film that you need to take out before loading a roll of film, LOL then he loaded the film and I was on my way. I loved taking that camera everywhere. Took some pretty good pictures with it. I then got a pocket 35mm to take on vacation since I didn't like traveling with the 35mm. A photographer friend introduced me to medium format so I purchased a used Bronica zenza medium format camera. The negatives are nice and large so the picture quality was incredible. Digital came to me by way of a P&S that I took offroading, camping and my trip to Paris. I knew the P&S wouldn't create the kind of images I wanted to start creating and film was not cost efficient. After debate and justification, I purchaed my first DSLR in October 2006. I wish I would have won that argument years before because I love digital cameras. I still have my film cameras and will one day pull them out and take some images, but right now it's all about the instant gratification.
            If you see a good fight, get in it.
            My Flickr!
            PBase!

Comment

I think this is my first post here! I didn't get into photography until college (about 7 years ago). I've never had a film camera and started out with a 2 MP Fuji digital camera. Then I got a telescope after college and needed a SLR to take better pics through the telescope, and got a Digital Rebel and have been hooked since for all kinds of photos!
              Digital Rebel XT, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-60mm, 50mm f/1.8
              Sigma Flash, Kenko Tubes
              Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by sderic View Post
                I think this is my first post here! I didn't get into photography until college (about 7 years ago). I've never had a film camera and started out with a 2 MP Fuji digital camera. Then I got a telescope after college and needed a SLR to take better pics through the telescope, and got a Digital Rebel and have been hooked since for all kinds of photos!
                Id like to see some of those telescope shots

Comment

I was about 9 or 10 years old, and my mother would give me her S & H green stamps (remember those?) and I saved up enough to get the following camera:

Brownie Hawkeye

Took me forever to get that, and then the flash. I must have photographed my dog a thousand times!

Comment

Yeah I remember S&H and long with Blue Chip stamps. I remember us kids going to the store and my mom always telling us "don't forget to get my stamps". I also remember why she had three kids and that was to have three tongues available to lick the stamps and fill up her books.
                    My Flickr!
                    PBase!

Comment

Hahahaha !! Boy doe's that take me back aways, I remember lickin stamps for my Mom too! my has the prices for things gone up so high these days, remember 19 Cents for a gallon of Etheyl Gasoline ( high test)? a Quarter was all we needed for an allowance and it lasted all week? Ahhhh, simpler days.

Comment

I used to think my parents were nuts for having so many kids(3 of us) but they knew what they were doing. No wonder she never felt the need to buy a dishwasher, she had two daughters, nor did she buy a dryer, she had two daughters and when we got out of high school, that is when she purchased a dryer.
                        My Flickr!
                        PBase!

Comment

Thats ok, I felt like the Butler untill I con'd them into signing for me to join the Army and go to Viet Nam.........I felt lucky to get out of there (Home).
                          NS.......really !

Comment

My dad has been into photography as long as I can remember...so I grew up watching him. But, he wasn't professional or anything, he just did it as a hobby. Then I got my first camera (one of those rectangular, flat looking ones) I think when I was 10 or so, and loved taking pictures with that thing. I think it was red Anyway, I got another little point and shoot a few years later and then one day, I think in Jr High, my dad let me use his 35mm and I loved it!! I used that until my husband bought me a nice Minolta 35mm for my graduation from college. And then in 2005 he bought me my DSLR as a birthday present and soon after my friend and I started Sweet Pea Photography I have just always like taking pictures and being creative with it. I am generally a pretty creative person, so this is just one way I like to express that creative side.

Comment

Originally posted by TSmith8779 View Post
                              I was about 9 or 10 years old, and my mother would give me her S & H green stamps (remember those?) and I saved up enough to get the following camera:

Brownie Hawkeye

Took me forever to get that, and then the flash. I must have photographed my dog a thousand times!
                              i have an old brownie camera. found it at the thrift store. i don't know if it still works but it is cool looking!
                              Last edited by grnidlady; 07-09-2007, 05:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X