X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How did you get started?

Thats a good one!

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
    Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

Originally posted by rowelld View Post
      Id like to see some of those telescope shots
      If you like astrophotos, take a look at this site:

San Diego Astronomy Association Astro Imaging Special Interest Group

These are all local folks doing astroimaging.

Comment

I had always been interested in photography, especially the optical side of it. My father had cameras and binocs and lenses, and tons of pictures, and tons more slides from the 40s, 50s and 60s. He never considered himself a photographer, just that with his travels (he was a military adviser to politicos across the globe) it was just natural of him to drag along a camera or three. My youth was spent looking at photos of places he had been, places we had been, we watched our home movies regularly. And, my best friend's mother was a photog for National Geographic. She was home for a month or two, then gone for weeks at a time. Whenever she got home, she would develop film in her basement lab, and I would get to see tons of photos before they were submitted. It just seems to me that photography was a natural part of life.

I was a freshman in high school. The year was 1969. There was a door marked "Darkroom." I asked the AV teacher what that was, and he opened the door for me. Inside was a fully functional darkroom that was the size a a small classroom. It was huge, with multiple sinks, enlargers, and chemical tanks. It was heaven to me. I asked him who used the darkroom and he said "nobody." I asked if I could use it and he handed me a key. "Any time you want." Over the next four years I ran roll after roll of Tri-X and E-6 through my Dad's Nikkormats and Rollei. And I haven't stopped since!

Brian

Comment

I picked up my first camera, a brownie box, using 126 type film, back in the early 60's. (Really early) and shot several rolls through it until m&d took it away because it was just plain expensive.

Later in Jr. High, I got ahold of my dad's Argus 35mm manual focus, and took photos for the year book, school paper and the local community paper the Poway Chieftain. During this time a neighbor across the street had a darkroom in his garage and I used it for my own developing and enlarging.

I moved on in High School with a Yashica Electro GX (the only camera I don't have any longer) doing all the same I did in Jr. High, plus school sports, as well as using the Schools Yashica 126 beast (I don't recall the model, it was what I called the 'over-under box'). During this time I became friends with a professional who had a setup on Midland Road in Old Poway who allowed me to use his darkroom and enlargers for the cost of the chemicals. I had to bring my own paper. Around this time I even got to rolling my own cans from bluk purchased film. That was fun.

I then gave it up for college and started all over again in 83 with an Olympus OM10, and added my first Canon (Elan IIe) in the mid 90's.

Went digital when the 10D first came out, and upgraded to the 5DmkII when they first came out. Haven't looked back and take more photos now than ever.

I still have a few thousand slides that need to be scanned, and that is another subject.

Photography is something that I've been doing for so long, that at a reunion of friends from High School, everyone knew me because I was the guy with the camera.

Finding this group was something that only made my interest larger and more hard core - much to my wife's regret.
          Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

http://dkbarto.daportfolio.com

Comment

I got started back in high school. My brother and I had a darkroom in our basement, where we would spend hours.

I got away from the "nuts and bolts" of photography while I was in the Navy. I think I wasn't so much a "photographer" as I was "someone who took pictures".

I got heavily into it when my band of ten years disbanded. I found that I still enjoyed the live music atmosphere, so I decided to get into concert photography. It doesn't pay the bills like the band did, but it's a blast...
            Canon 40D w/BG-E2N
            Canon 20D w/BG-E2
            Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L
            Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
            Canon 85mm f/1.8
            Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5
            Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3

My Website

Comment

I"m the n00bie today so I'll put my intro here.

"Hi!"

There. Now that that's out of the way...

I got started as a writer, mostly writing about motorsports for magazines. I took photos to put with my articles using a Sony Cybershot DSC for 3 years. Did pretty good too (see below), especially considering the 2 seconds per frame I was getting. I got good at getting my shots the first time because I couldn't rely on "spray and pray".

This month I got a 50D and did 2 FMX events with it and I was hooked. I then promptly returned it for the now released 7D. I'm running the kit lens and a couple of lenses I used on my EOS 750 and 500 35mm bodies. Not the best, but they'll do 'til I get some L's.

I've got an FMX event to do a week from Sat at Pala then an interview/photo shoot with another FMX team on Sunday in Murietta. I'll be renting a 70-200 L IS for those.

For all intents and purposes, I'm a n00bie but a professional. (I get paid to take mediocre pictures). I've got a huge learning curve ahead and am really looking forward to getting good with this thing.

Here's a CORRacing truck shot with the Sony Cybershot. Check out my Flickr page for some more stuff including some FMX shots.

My Flickr - - - What's in your sippy cup?

My stuff:
              A rapid shooter, a sniper, a couple old school 35s. A kit IS, some slow EFs and two crappy Qs.
              Shopping for some Ls.

Comment

WoW Good background there! And that photo is good considering when you press the button, the moment you wanted to capture has already passed.

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
                Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Ruiz View Post
                  WoW Good background there! And that photo is good considering when you press the button, the moment you wanted to capture has already passed.
                  Thanks! I'd already been shooting with the Sony for about a year and learned what shutter lag means while doing motor-sports.

I've got that picture and 4 others all framed and signed by the drivers. I've got a lot of good shots of ATVs with that point and shoot too.

Can't wait to get back to Pala this weekend and try the 7D. I'll be able to pretend I'm a professional or somfin.
                  My Flickr - - - What's in your sippy cup?

My stuff:
                  A rapid shooter, a sniper, a couple old school 35s. A kit IS, some slow EFs and two crappy Qs.
                  Shopping for some Ls.

Comment

Working...
                  X