Hourly Rate for Wedding 2nd Shooter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hourly Rate for Wedding 2nd Shooter?

So, I've got an offer to be 2nd shooter for about 3 hours, to help build my portfolio and learn some of the ropes.

Being my real first wedding gig, what is my time worth in SD? I'm assuming I'll send my shots back to the photog so I have them, and he can use them for the wedding album.

I've been reading as much as I can find on shooting wedding, but I'm coming up short on what to get paid.

He asked what my hourly rate is. I would be happy getting $15, but I don't know if even that is too high...

Need advice!
    See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Re: Hourly Rate for Wedding 2nd Shooter?

I would say $25.00 an hour but its negotiable. Negotiable part being 25.00 if you edit all the photos or $15-$20 just to hand over unedited shots. Whatever you do don't sell yourself short, Gas Isn't Cheap! What I would really do now that I think about it is charge $100.00 and tell him thats for your unlimited time & shots, that way if it goes over the 3 hours your still covered.

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
    Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

I just sent him an email. $100 for flat fee sounds good, I'll update with what happens!

Thank you!

Another question, as an up-and-comer, should I charge for shooting non-models that may use the shots?

I did my first formal "shoot" with some skater kids last week free, but it was a lot of work to PP all the portraits and action shots I did, and although I'm sure I'll get quite a few references from their mom (kids were 8 and 9 yr old and she's in PTA, etc), I don't want to be giving stuff away when I could be paying off some memory cards...hehehehehe.
      See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

Since photography is just a hobby for me, I struggle with the $$$ dilemma all the time. Here's the conclusion I came up with. First I need to build a really good portfolio so people will feel comfortable paying you a decent rate. I just need to do some baby/maternity shoots to round out my port and I'll start charging. However, on some "free" shoots that I've done, after showing the "clients" photos just from the back of my camera, they ended up paying me for the shoot.

But I think Nick is right about not short selling yourself and your rates. If you are good, then people will pay.
        Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Comment

Picasa Web Albums - Anthony - Portfolio

Care to comment on my port that I thought was most appropriate to show to get this job?

Comment

"Being my real first wedding gig, what is my time worth in SD?"

Most folks in that situation are really doing a trade. Your time for your education. If this is an experienced wedding pro, you're getting a lot more than he will.

Comment

Well, the guy found a pro to do 2nd shooter.

Get 'em next time, I suppose.

Comment

2nd shooters usually a flat rate 200-250( for 4-8 hrs of work) and the primary usually asks for a disk and the 2nd gets to use what they shot in their gallery, portfolio, etc. Some primary shooters won't let you use what you shoot as a 2nd on your website, blog and I think that sucks. Once you get your first 2nd shooter gig under your belt, you may want to make sure your charging pretty close to the SD market.

Comment

I agree with Renay, stay within the $200 - $250 range or more because as a professonial photographer you should'nt charge anything less.
                  Last edited by kdastonjr; 10-21-2008, 08:06 PM.

Comment

I've been shooting since I was a kid, but as a serious hobby/passion, it's been since July. You can click the link in my signature to see my best work to date (only the recent stuff). I shot a wedding that I was in, but didn't really get anything that I was happy with, partially because I wasn't able to dedicate the time to setting up, and partially because I had only just gotten my DSLR. I'd be much more comfortable shooting a wedding now, and would probably want to do a couple for free before jumping in and charging for it, just to make sure I can "do it."
                    Last edited by Fixcinater; 10-21-2008, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Tried to view your port but your link is broken?

Comment

picasaweb.google.com/fixcinater

Comment

Fixcinater. See if you can get some pay even if it's a small stipend for the first couple of gigs. Like Nick says, gas costs and we need to start getting "something" for our work. Money isn't everything, but it's alot for us to gas up, use our gear and put wear and tear on our cameras.

Comment

That gig has since passed as I said above, but I'm going to try to get some more experience and see if shooting weddings would be something I would enjoy.

It seems to be very polarizing in that you either hate it and never want to bring any sort of camera to another wedding, or you love it and want to do it for a living, or at least a significant hobby.

Comment

I would think there's a BIG difference between second shooter and the main man. I also think a lot will depend on how well your second does and whether or not your two styles mesh well. People have asked me if I shoot weddings and so far my answer has been no- too much stress. I'd imagine having someone that knows you and know's their job well would make all the difference.

I've considered looking into doing some second or tag-a-long work, but then I also feel like I'd be setting myself up for too much frustration considering my only fast lens is my 50 1.8. Maybe I could get away with my kit lens and my sigma flash at an outdoor wedding.
                              Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
                              Cheers
                              John
                              Flickr
                              Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
                              Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
                              Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
                              Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
                              Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
                              Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
                              Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
                              (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

Working...
                              X