No announcement yet.

Hourly Rate for Wedding 2nd Shooter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hourly Rate for Wedding 2nd Shooter?

Nick and I shot a wedding over the weekend, and it was a lot of fun. fix, you are right about the polarizing aspect of wedding photography. Here's my take: Events during a wedding can happen very quickly and often there are no re-do's, so if you need to fiddle with your camera settings, you'll end up missing the shot or end up with a bunch of blurry photos - neither you nor the wedding party will be very happy with. This is when you really hate wedding photography along with the pressure to perform miracles. Now, if camera settings become second nature where you don't have to think about it - your fingers go on auto pilot and you start getting cool shots....that's fun. Also, in weddings, you are often moving from one lighting condittion to another or seeking out good light in often poorly lit churches or restaurants. This can be frustrating....unless, as we talked about in the workshops, you start to be able to see what the camera sees and then be able to identify where the good lighting is. We were shooting in a dimly lit restaurant with a few windows. We were able to get the bride to pose there and got some great shots.

Moral of the story? Go practice a lot and make the camera an extension of your hands rather than a piece of equipment held in your hands. Turn your eyes into a view finder rather than the awesome organ that it is. Hmmm....sounds like great photographers are nothing more than cyborgs with an artistic flair!

PS - John, having the right lens (meaning fast lens) really does make or break you in wedding photography.
    Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Comment

"It seems to be very polarizing in that you either hate it and never want to bring any sort of camera to another wedding, or you love it and want to do it for a living, or at least a significant hobby.?"

Maybe I can give you guys some perspective on the wedding business....25 years of doing them professionally, a lot of those years doing 40+ weddings a year. Granted, the transition to digital has changed things, is some ways for the worse. In the old days, send the film off to the lab, give the client previews, then card negs (2 1/4). Now, it's a lot of computer time. The average wedding takes about 40-50 hours of production time after the wedding. If you have a full time staff that will do all of that, no problem. If you do the photograph/burn a cd, that would not be an issue. Of course, that's likely not going to get you the high end money. You also need liability insurance, if something goes wrong there is no redo. I've testified several times (expert witness) in these cases, and they get ugly. As for the wedding itself, you need to be a journalist, a portrait photog, and a psychologist all rolled into one. Expect the unexpected. Most of the long term pros I know moved to more profitable areas of photography. If you're going to do them, as has been said here, you need to know your gear inside and out, and be able to capture anything and everything while 20 amateurs sit on your shoulder. It's a fun day for sure.....

Comment

WoW it couldn't have been said any better.

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
        Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

Working...
        X