Surf Photographers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf Photographers

Anyone interested in shooting surf photography? I am looking for other photographers that may be interested in occasionally shooting surf photography and then uploading the images to my site at www.mysurfingphotos.com. From there, surfers can order prints and download digital files. I am paying 80% of the profit from sales to the photographer. I will provide you with cards to hand to the surfers as they get out of the water. I'll deal with everything from site maintenance to customer service to returns so that you can just shoot and upload. My only requirements are that you have a DSLR and access to a 300mm or longer lens. I am happy to train anyone who has the equipment but hasnt shot surfing before. Send me an email from the "photographers" page on the website if you are interested... Thanks!

Re: Surf Photographers

Sounds pretty cool, I may be interested.
    Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
    Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

Cool... let me know if you think you might like to give it a shot. If so, send me an email to info@mysurfingphotos.com and I can send you all of the details. I've been making between $75-150 for every couple of hours I shoot and its just been to hang out at the beach and take photos!

Josh

Comment

Marshall,

I would be available to shoot on Sundays if needed. I uploaded a narly surfer I cought as I was waiting for my clients portrait shots at Dana Point.

Gabriel
        www.huertaphotography.com
        cell (626) 705-8203
        Attached Files

Comment

Gabriel,

Shoot an e-mail to Josh who started the thread as he's the one who runs the site and is looking for togs.
          Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
          Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

Originally posted by OBography View Post
            Anyone interested in shooting surf photography? I am looking for other photographers that may be interested in occasionally shooting surf photography and then uploading the images to my site at www.mysurfingphotos.com. From there, surfers can order prints and download digital files. I am paying 80% of the profit from sales to the photographer. I will provide you with cards to hand to the surfers as they get out of the water. I'll deal with everything from site maintenance to customer service to returns so that you can just shoot and upload. My only requirements are that you have a DSLR and access to a 300mm or longer lens. I am happy to train anyone who has the equipment but hasnt shot surfing before. Send me an email from the "photographers" page on the website if you are interested... Thanks!

This is a great idea! I was actually thinking about this the other day but looks like you are way ahead of me. I am definately interested in another excuse to spend more time at the water taking photos. I'll shoot you an e-mail.

Comment

Email sent.
              See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

Gabriel, nice shot... Sundays are definitely a good day, send me an email to info@mysurfingphotos.com if you would like to know more about it... Talk to you soon!

Comment

sounds cool - just emailed

Comment

I just sent an email - sounds like we could have whole group of togs.

Gabriel

Comment

Just a heads up to those that are interested in surf photography. It's generally not a good idea to poach another surf photographer especially if it looks like he's working. There's nothing worse than setting up a shoot and having someone roll up and poach your shots. There's a few guys in San Diego that shoot for the 3 major mags and A-Frame. Chris Straley (north county, Anthony Ghiglia (La Jolla, PB), Ben Decamp (La Jolla), George Barnes (OB), Chris Sardelis (everywhere), Ross Mcbride (La Jolla).... If you are really interested in surf photography check out
                      http://www.surfphotographersunited.com/v2/home/
                      http://unitedsurfphotographersinternational.yuku.com/

Also, former NBA/Lakers photographer Branimir Kvartuc has a similar service http://www.eppicsurf.com

Comment

Originally posted by illeniumsd View Post
                        Just a heads up to those that are interested in surf photography. It's generally not a good idea to poach another surf photographer especially if it looks like he's working. There's nothing worse than setting up a shoot and having someone roll up and poach your shots. There's a few guys in San Diego that shoot for the 3 major mags and A-Frame. Chris Straley (north county, Anthony Ghiglia (La Jolla, PB), Ben Decamp (La Jolla), George Barnes (OB), Chris Sardelis (everywhere), Ross Mcbride (La Jolla).... If you are really interested in surf photography check out
                        http://www.surfphotographersunited.com/v2/home/
                        http://unitedsurfphotographersinternational.yuku.com/

Also, former NBA/Lakers photographer Branimir Kvartuc has a similar service http://www.eppicsurf.com
                        I'm curious as to what exactly is considered poaching? If somebody goes out on any random day to any random spot and shoots any random surfer, are they poaching because a pro may be nearby? I understand if it's a planned shoot, but if someone on here knows where Kelly Slater, or whomever is hot these days, surfs I see no possible seniority just because one might shoot for a mag. Sorry, but it just sounds a bit like the old "Locals only, this is my beach" kinda crap. I'm no shoulder hopper, but it IS a public ocean.
                        Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
                        Cheers
                        John
                        Flickr
                        Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
                        Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
                        Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
                        Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
                        Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
                        Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
                        Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
                        (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

Originally posted by inSANe DIEGO View Post
                          I'm curious as to what exactly is considered poaching? If somebody goes out on any random day to any random spot and shoots any random surfer, are they poaching because a pro may be nearby? I understand if it's a planned shoot, but if someone on here knows where Kelly Slater, or whomever is hot these days, surfs I see no possible seniority just because one might shoot for a mag. Sorry, but it just sounds a bit like the old "Locals only, this is my beach" kinda crap. I'm no shoulder hopper, but it IS a public ocean.
                          I was thinking the exact same thing but couldn't articulate it nearly as well as inSANe did here. So, what's up?

Comment

Originally posted by prgibbs View Post
                            I was thinking the exact same thing but couldn't articulate it nearly as well as inSANe did here. So, what's up?
                            I guess Illenium's post just rubbed me the wrong way (nothing personal Ill, you may just be the "messenger". It's the concept the bugs me). Here's a less eloquent way of putting it as well. IF a pro is worried about one of us poaching maybe they should consider a desk job.
                            Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
                            Cheers
                            John
                            Flickr
                            Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
                            Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
                            Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
                            Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
                            Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
                            Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
                            Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
                            (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

Say I set up a crew to surf a break like K38, La Bluf, Lobster Lounge Sloughs, etc.... I get all the legwork done, shots pre sold, logistics setup and some random drives by gets out of his car and starts shooting away and submits images to another mag on top of mine after I put some serious money and time into the shoot. With the development in digital technology and websites like flickr it's easier for the mags to get images for cheaper. In the surf photography world that's considered rude. However, if you are shooting a spot like Trestles or Wedge you can count on 50 of your closest photographer friends to be there shooting.
                              I don't shoot surf much these days as the surf mags don't pay, so don't shoot the messenger. I was just trying to help educate. Pissing off a guy like Chang or Ghiglia can ruin ones day. Believe me. I know from past experience. I made the mistake of poaching Ian Rotgans and Nick Kovak one day at a little known break and happend to piss off one of the bigger names in the industry.
                              Last edited by illeniumsd; 01-24-2009, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X