canon 580 or lumopro 120

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• canon 580 or lumopro 120

i had decided on the canon 580 before i went to the strobist 101 workshop (which is great btw), and been reading about the lumopro 120 that was mentioned in the class.

leaving the ability to trigger slaves, what feature in 580 is better than 120? is it worth the 250 extra dollars? i intend to buy catus or blazzeo radio triggers after i get the flash.

ive never used external flashes before, so i need some help from the experts here. please help.

TIA

Re: canon 580 or lumopro 120

If you don't care about the tight integration with the camera body (eTTL etc) then get the lumopro. If you ever want to use the flash on body and if you don't care about the master ability of the flash get the 430exII and save money while keeping the integration option open.

If you are only going to use the flash off camera using the cheaper cactus triggers, then the lumopro is excellent. If you are going to upgrade your trigger in the future to something that allows remote control of the flash getting the 430exII will allow that to happen.

It all depends on your growth path for strobist photography.
    Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

http://dkbarto.daportfolio.com

Comment

Normally I'd say go for the Lumopro. HOWEVER, the new Pocket Wizards allow ettl and flash power control from the camera when using Canon flashes. As David mentioned, if you see yourself growing into more complicated situations and needing to change settings on the fly a Canon flash is where it's at. If you're not worried about that stuff and just want to learn the Lumopro would be fine. What's the price and power difference between the 430exII and the LP120?
      Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
      Cheers
      John
      Flickr
      Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
      Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
      Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
      Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
      Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
      Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
      Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
      (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

Lumopro - GN 100, $130
        430ExII - GN 43, $240 (Amazon)

For a first flash with the really stupid trigger, I'd get the Lumopro without a doubt. If you 'growup' to something more, it can be that back of the case flash for those places with a little extra can be useful.
        Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

Comment

stupid question... to use the ettl capabilities, i need the pocketwizards or canon's transmitter right?

Comment

Yes and no. Sigma also makes a flash that is good for strobism. It has close to the same amount of power as the 580. It would allow you to use ettl while on the camera. It's likely that not all of your flash use will be off camera. That flash is the EF500DG Super. I have two Nikon specific versions and I like them 99% as much as my SB800. The main problem I have with the Sigmas and "stupid" triggers is that there doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the 90 second sleep feature. As a result, you have to pop or play with the flash every 90 seconds to keep it awake. Here's a link to the 500 on Amazon. Stay away from the 500 ST. It is NOT strobist friendly.

There is a newer model of the Super (EF530DG Super) that sells for a little more and I think it has a slight bit more power. It MAY even have the capability to disable the sleep feature, but I don't know as I haven't looked at it closely.

If it were me, it'd be between the Sigma or the Lp120. The Sigma will be about as useful a dedicated Canon flash in the future minus maybe one feature (it probably won't be a wireless commander like the 580) and the Lp120 will still be a great strobist slave later in its life. For the money I don't think you'd be going wrong with either.

Sorry to throw yet another flash in the mix. If Ty were to jump in here he'd suggest a Quantaray flash that I know nothing about so you might want to search Quantaray DZ...
            Cheers
            John
            Flickr
            Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
            (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

OK John, I'll jump in. I wouldn't suggest the Quantaray as a first flash as it is somewhat limited (no ettl, etc. - just good for remote fill flash). As a first and main flash I would suggest any flash that is ettl compatable and can sync at high speed (not sure if the Sigmas do that). This will allow for ease of use for day time shooting at wide apertures since your shutter speed is likely to be way faster than the 1/200 or 1/250 max. sync speed of non-dedicated flashes. This will also allow you to do some high speed photography such as freezing water drops and humming bird wings.

I have both the 580EX and the 430EX and I find myself using the 430 more since it is much smaller and lighter. It has plenty of light for most situations and is a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the 580. Unless you plan on spending a boat load of cash on a bunch of 430's and using the 580 to remotely control them, it's not worth the price.
              Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Comment

Good points Ty. Thanks for jumping in. I'm only certain about the Nikon version of the Sigmas and high speed sync. They will do it when on the camera or connected with a TTL cord, but not wirelessly. That's the 1% that I'm not happy with. Not that that info really helps you any, Ravi.
                Cheers
                John
                Flickr

Comment

thanks for all the useful info. i still have few vague questions. im goin to do some research and ask more specific questions.... thanks again.

Comment

ok, i did some research. 580 does seem to have lots more features than 430 or lumopro (like weather proof, master etc).

one of the main reasons i was considering the 580 was the light output. from what i read, 580's GN 190 is almost 4 times that of 430 GN 43. does this mean the light output is 4 times that of 430? is this worth the extra price (about $130 more)?

how about the sync speed? does the 580 have faster sync speed than 430?

how about recycle time? does 580 have faster recycle time?

sorry for the too many questions. i guess im confused

Comment

The 580 does have a faster recycle time. As far as sync speed, I may be wrong here, but I was under the impression that any Canon-branded flash can operate with newer model Canon bodies at virtually any speed...

Comment

thebdt is right about sync speed. Canon cameras determine the sync speed for the flash.

For my 5DmkII the sync for the 580 is 1/200, for my older 10D it is 1/125.

The amount of light from the 580 is amazing, and every time I start to use it I have to remember to dial it back a little more than I think I should.

Comment

as of now i think i want the 580. the primary reason is the light output. if i put modifiers, or shoot outdoors, i think im goin to need the extra juice. are there other options with similar light output?

Comment

Ty pretty much nailed it down. AFAIK your only other option with close to the same amount of power is the Sigma ef500dg Super or ef530dg Super. HOWEVER, I don't think you'll have FP Sync (high speed sync) capabilities with it. It SHOULD do everything else the 580 can though. Check the Sigma site for more info. I use my Sigmas all the time (including when shooting TTL on OR off camera). The only time I really choose my SB800 over the Supers is when I know I will be using FP Sync and when I need more compactness. The Sigmas are a little bulkier.
                            Cheers
                            John
                            Flickr

Comment

Working...
                            X