WTB: 10-20 mm/12-24mm or 50mm F1.8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB: 10-20 mm/12-24mm or 50mm F1.8

I am looking for either ....used 10-20mm sigma or equivalent and if I can not find that I am looking for a 50mm f1.8 all are going to be used with a NIKON D60. Thanks
    Last edited by image_master; 12-29-2008, 02:32 PM.

Re: WTB: 10-20 mm/12-24mm or 50mm F1.8

Nikon | Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens | 2137 | B&H
    Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
    Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

Thank you for the heads up!!

Comment

No problem.

Here's...

Sigma | 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 AF Lens | 200306 | B&H Photo Video

Sigma | 10-20mm f/4-5.6D EX DC HSM Autofocus Lens | 201306 | B&H
        Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
        Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

Those Sigmas are nice (especially the 10-20), but I'd save up a little more for the Tokina 11-16 f2.8. Ask Vivek about that lens. I shot with it at Salton Sea and I've decided to start saving for it. Then again, you said you wanted used so I'm not sure if you'll be able to find one.

50mm f1.8 is nice. Great bokeh and it's one of Nikon's sharpest lenses...especially for the price. I got mine at Nelson for $125 because I didn't want to wait and shipping wasn't free at B&H at that time.
          Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
          Cheers
          John
          Flickr
          Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
          Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
          Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
          Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
          Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
          Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
          Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
          (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

yea right now I have about 300 to spend....I keep putting away money for something but I dont know what to get first the 10-20 or the 50mm f1.8. I am really leaning towards the 50mm 1.8 because its soo affordable at 120 range. But i would really like to pick up a sigma or even a tokina that you mentioned. I just have to make up my mind on which hobby I want to support right now lol

Comment

I love my nifty 50, BUT it's very limiting. Check my flickr for the 50mm f1.8 tag. Not many shots, but they are among my favorites. I just got a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for xmas. it's $400. If you're around $300 right now you may want to consider saving the extra $100 and getting it. The image quality is very close to the 50mm, but you have a nice range including 50mm at the top end. It could be the best of both worlds for you if you're trying to balance different hobbies. If you are attending the DSLR 101 or Advanced DSLR workshop I'll let you shoot some with it (AND the 50mm if you want) to help you decide.
              Cheers
              John
              Flickr
              Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
              (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

Doh! I just noticed that you have a D60. The 50mm f1.8 will not auto focus on that body. 17-50 f2.8 will though. I swear I don't work for Tamron. Just wanted you to be aware...
                Cheers
                John
                Flickr

Comment

hmm I am really wanting to go to the workshop...but I have to wait and see if my wife is working or not. Definately looking to meet people to learn more about photography. Everything so far I have captured is all self taught trial and error. Mixed semi-auto and manual. Hmm no worries....I'm gona look into stuff further b4 I make a decision. Thanks for the 411 you guys are helping a lot.
                  Last edited by image_master; 12-30-2008, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I think it depends a lot on what you plan to shoot. I knew most of my use of a wide angle lens would occur during the daytime and on a tripod so I went with the Sigma 10-20 since a faster wide angle lens like the Tokina was not too important to me. Can't beat it for less than $500! Only thing is, Sigma's quality control is pretty subpar and I checked out 3 copies before going with the one I have.

I would be careful about getting it used...although the 10-20 is part of Sigma's EX line so comes with a 4 year warranty and lens calibration is covered under that, so just make sure the seller has the warranty card and receipt.

Good luck!
                    randyzhu.com
                    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by randaddy View Post
                      I think it depends a lot on what you plan to shoot. I knew most of my use of a wide angle lens would occur during the daytime and on a tripod so I went with the Sigma 10-20 since a faster wide angle lens like the Tokina was not too important to me. Can't beat it for less than $500! Only thing is, Sigma's quality control is pretty subpar and I checked out 3 copies before going with the one I have.

I would be careful about getting it used...although the 10-20 is part of Sigma's EX line so comes with a 4 year warranty and lens calibration is covered under that, so just make sure the seller has the warranty card and receipt.

Good luck!
                      This is true. I'm saving for the Tokina because I want good bokeh and I'm tired of being limited by the kit lens apertures when it comes to trying to shoot during Golden Hour. This is another case where I feel the extra $100 is well spent. Marn makes GREAT use of the Sigma 10-20. He also pointed out the Tokina to me when I asked about the Sigma.
                      Cheers
                      John
                      Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X