This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoot location for February.....

Hey all, I have an idea for a shoot location in February.

The Amgen Bicycle Tour of California will end its 9 stage race in San Diego county in 2009!! On Sunday, Feb 22nd the racers will be racing from Rancho Bernardo to Escondido via Palomar mountain. Should be an awesome stage of the race as it is the last stage of the race and lots of times winners are decided on mountainous stages.
    This race usually attracts the top teams in the world and Lance Armstrong, who has come out of retirement, is said to be scheduled to be in the race.
    The stage starts at noon in RB and is scheduled to finish near 4pm in Escondido.

Anyway, another thought I had was that we have a workshop or some sort of gathering to help people get their sports photography skills sharpened up before Feb 22nd.

ETA: One of those mornings. Ok to move this one to the Suggestions section. yeesh!! LOL.
    Last edited by Hammster; 12-06-2008, 09:23 AM.
    Mike
    D300
    D40
    18-55mm, 55-200mm, 300mm f/4
    SB400
    Argus C3

Re: Shoot location for February.....

Very cool. Unless something drastic happens, I know I'll be going for sure.
    Mike
    D300
    D40
    SB400
    Argus C3

Comment

Do you know what the route will be? Are they going through Poway or are they going through Highland Valley/Ramona? There can be some great places to shoot on the later.

Comment

Yeah, there is a route link to click on in the link I posted that will take you to all the stages and their profiles, descriptions and maps.
        I'm thinking I'm going to try and get a spot on the switchbacks up Palomar as there should be some awesome action there.

Here is a link to the page for that last stage. There is a PDF file you can click on and print out too.
        Mike
        D300
        D40
        SB400
        Argus C3

Comment

There will be some nice places along the route from RB throughHighland Valley and Bandy Canyon over looking the sod farms and dairy farms. I'll be setting up somewhere there.

Comment

I wanna go! You beat me to the post. I heard about this about a month or two and go and typed up a whole post just before bed (like I'm doing now). Well, I previewed it and shut down. When I checked in on the site the next day I didn't see the post. I got busy and forgot about it. Thanks for the post, because every time I am reminded, I'm either driving or a long way from being near the computer to post about it.

Do you guys think they'd get pissed if we set up some lighting? lol
            Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
            Cheers
            John
            Flickr
            Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
            Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
            Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
            Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
            Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
            Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
            Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
            (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

Originally posted by Lburk View Post
              There will be some nice places along the route from RB throughHighland Valley and Bandy Canyon over looking the sod farms and dairy farms. I'll be setting up somewhere there.
              That should be a great location to get some peloton shots. The flat sections of stages usually have most of the peloton in a large bunch.

Originally posted by inSANe DIEGO View Post
              I wanna go! You beat me to the post. I heard about this about a month or two and go and typed up a whole post just before bed (like I'm doing now). Well, I previewed it and shut down. When I checked in on the site the next day I didn't see the post. I got busy and forgot about it. Thanks for the post, because every time I am reminded, I'm either driving or a long way from being near the computer to post about it.

Do you guys think they'd get pissed if we set up some lighting? lol
              Hey John,
              I had signed up for email notifications from Tour of Cal. DW and I almost went to Solvang last year to watch the time trial but time slipped by and finding a hotel room was nearly impossible by the time I finally tried to reserve one. Oops!! Oh well. I'm glad they brought a stage to San Diego county.
              Yeah, set up a nice outdoor studio and have the racers pause there for their portrait as the pass by. LOL. It's gonna be an ambient light, hotshoe flash kind of day I think.
              Mike
              D300
              D40
              SB400
              Argus C3

Comment

Racing is not my cup of tea that fir sure

Comment

maybe...we'll see....

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze In Time View Post
                    Racing is not my cup of tea that fir sure
                    Originally posted by Fixcinater
                    Then you'll have plenty of racers to practice on that day.
                    Originally posted by Blaze In Time View Post
                    maybe...we'll see....
                    Yup, that's the idea. And if you are near someone else taking pics you can ask questions. That's what I've done the last 2 years going to the Red Bull Air Races. Set up next to others with good looking rigs and we all just talk about shutter speeds, f stops, etc and try out different things during the day. It's a lot of fun.
                    Mike
                    D300
                    D40
                    SB400
                    Argus C3

Comment

This sounds fun. I use to be really into roadbikes. Have an old road bike with 1st or 2nd generation Look pedals and a couple of pairs of cycling shoes.

Comment

I'll def. be somewhere in Escondido to view in my opinion the best athletes in the world.

Chris in Spring Valley

Comment

In today's (1/10) fishwrap there is an article about the stage. It's in the Our Region section, front page, below the fold.

Stage starts at noon and first finishers into Escondido should be around 3:30. I'm gonna get on the switchbacks up Palomar in the morning sometime.
                          Mike
                          D300
                          D40
                          SB400
                          Argus C3

Comment

What day is this going down? I SOOOO wanna go!
                            Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
                            Cheers
                            John
                            Flickr
                            Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
                            Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
                            Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
                            Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
                            Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
                            Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
                            Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
                            (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

I wanna check this out as well!
                              randyzhu.com
                              Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X