August SDPF Group Shoot Discussion/Planning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August SDPF Group Shoot Discussion/Planning

Best time for me right now would be this Saturday, the 22nd.

Morning light, or wait until ~5PM to get decent sunset.

I could use some practice setting up a quickie head-shot, maybe we could all practice that on each other...Strobist style if you got the gear, otherwise reflector/white cards for fill and we all shoot each other, and then we go for our normal photowalk/split up.

Or, we could do a quick 30min walk-about, and then grab our laptops and upload to compare.
    See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Re: August SDPF Group Shoot Discussion/Planning

Originally posted by Fixcinater View Post
    quickie head.
    Sorry mind in the gutter, but that's funny.

quickie head-shot.
    The rest of it just made me rotflol.
    Always think positive, but expect the worst and nothing bad will ever happen.

http://hanratty.smugmug.com

Gear:
    Olympus E-30
    Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 (28-84mm conversion)
    Olympus 40-150mm f/4-5.6 (80-300mm conversion)
    Olympus 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (140-600mm conversion)

Comment

You're fired.

:-)
      Last edited by Fixcinater; 08-19-2009, 11:40 AM.
      See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA and it thougt we are PG 13 here.

I'm ok in the morning this Saturday. Just let me know when and where.
        Patrick
        Arsenal:
        Nikon D80
        MB-D80 Grip
        Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D
        Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8D
        Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5 - 5.6 VR
        SB-800 AF Speedlight

Comment

I'd like to know where for Sat morning as well

Comment

What do you guys want to shoot?

Comment

Best time for me right now would be this Saturday, the 22nd.

Morning light, or wait until ~5PM to get decent sunset.

I could use some practice setting up a quickie head-shot, maybe we could all practice that on each other...Strobist style if you got the gear, otherwise reflector/white cards for fill and we all shoot each other, and then we go for our normal photowalk/split up.

Or, we could do a quick 30min walk-about, and then grab our laptops and upload to compare.
              i like this idea.
              Patrick
              Arsenal:
              Nikon D80
              MB-D80 Grip
              Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D
              Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8D
              Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5 - 5.6 VR
              SB-800 AF Speedlight

Comment

Morning is out for me... Gotta sleep after work at some point.
                Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
                Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

i wish i could join u guys. this weekend is out.

Comment

I could use some practice setting up a quickie head-shot, maybe we could all practice that on each other..
                    I can't make this Saturday, but in regards to doing quickie headshots I have a few techniques I use that is really affordable:

I have 3 normal smith-victor stands and 2 SB-600s on two of the stands that I control with either the SB-900 or just the pop-up flash (depending on how much output I need from the camera) and then (if needed) I use the other stand to hold a reflector. I then place these 4 different lighting elements around the subject accordingly.

Note: I hardly ever need all 4 lighting elements, I usually use two or three.

So this is great if you do not have a crew and it is just you and the model and all of it is light weight and can all fit in 2 bags you carry easily

Comment

I'm thinking a 50c piece of white foam core is affordable!

Comment

haha sorry, my bad, yea I looked back at my post and probably should have left out the affordable part.

Comment

Well, depends who you are.

If I had a job I'd probably think a set of 600s and a 900 were affordable.

Comment

Fix, you rock the natural light. Throw in your 50c reflector and you're golden. I'm the only one that I know of that has done headshots at night and/or in dark parking garages. Of course, there was this odd ball incident...

***EDIT- WOW! That attachment resizing really kills IQ! Here's the exact same file linked from my Flickr.***

Attached Files
                            Last edited by inSANe DIEGO; 08-20-2009, 12:54 PM. Reason: added embedded image.
                            Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
                            Cheers
                            John
                            Flickr
                            Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
                            Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
                            Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
                            Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
                            Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
                            Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
                            Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
                            (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

Originally posted by sdphotographer View Post
                              I can't make this Saturday, but in regards to doing quickie headshots I have a few techniques I use that is really affordable:

I have 3 normal smith-victor stands and 2 SB-600s on two of the stands that I control with either the SB-900 or just the pop-up flash (depending on how much output I need from the camera) and then (if needed) I use the other stand to hold a reflector. I then place these 4 different lighting elements around the subject accordingly.

Note: I hardly ever need all 4 lighting elements, I usually use two or three.

So this is great if you do not have a crew and it is just you and the model and all of it is light weight and can all fit in 2 bags you carry easily
                              or you could just use natural light like a champ son!
                              website
                              http://shainblumphoto.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X