September Group Shoot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September Group Shoot

Let's make up for August's dismal showing by getting a bunch of folks together in Sept.

Please post your ideas, or something you need to work on. I'll make a new thread once theme or idea, time and date have been decided.

Old Town/downtown have recently been done, so let's go somewhere new!
    See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Re: September Group Shoot

Mission Beach walkway—we could wander, as a loosely connected group, from Pacific Beach to Mission Beach. It's a GREAT location for street photography. Then again, most beaches are, especially in the Summer...

Bonus points for film!

Comment

Originally posted by thebdt View Post
      Mission Beach walkwayŚwe could wander, as a loosely connected group, from Pacific Beach to Mission Beach. It's a GREAT location for street photography. Then again, most beaches are, especially in the Summer...

Bonus points for film!

Extra bonus points for showing up and posting images! Old Town group shoot was pretty weak in that regard. Do we need to have a competition solely based off the group shoot?
      See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

Sorry, I didn't even realize there was an Old Town shoot... I know people drummed up a swap meet shoot kind of at the last minute, and that you were the only one to show. :/

As far as having a contest based off the group shoot—why not? This month's (August's) contest has obviously been a free for all, with people digging out older pictures and stuff (myself included). I don't see why following that with a very structured contest in September would be a bad thing...

Comment

Sorry, I didn't even realize there was an Old Town shoot... I know people drummed up a swap meet shoot kind of at the last minute, and that you were the only one to show. :/

The Old Town shoot was the month before the downtown shoot, or two months before.

I like your beach walk idea, and would probably shoot a roll of T-Max 100 in my Argus TLR. Be about time to develop that and the roll I already shot and remind myself what this film stuff is all about, maybe even print up a shot or two on real silver halides!

Comment

Ok. Beach walk. I'll bring both my Canon bodies: 5DmkII and the Elan IIe (film). Just to see what I get that is different between them.

Saturdays work best for me.
            Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

http://dkbarto.daportfolio.com

Comment

Mission Beach Boardwalk...portraits of passer-bys. The object is to stop someone interesting (actually more than one someones), explain the project and get a release, and take close up and personal portrait shots. This could also be done on the Prado. And extra kudos for film use (but then I am biased ).

Brian

Comment

Releases? Releases?! We don't need no stinkin releases!

Comment

Releases? Releases?! We don't need no stinkin releases!
                  Ah, but that's part of the challenge. Every submission must have a signed model release.

Comment

Well, I guess if people want to include getting releases as part of the challenge, they're free to. I don't see it as a street photography challenge; most great street photographers didn't get model releases, and as long as work is published strictly as art, it is protected and doesn't need a release (even if you sell it, as art).

I could see it as an optional part of the challenge; I don't think it would be right to make it mandatory. Heck, as Fix has pointed out, we have enough problems just getting people to show up.

Comment

Well, I guess if people want to include getting releases as part of the challenge, they're free to. I don't see it as a street photography challenge; most great street photographers didn't get model releases, and as long as work is published strictly as art, it is protected and doesn't need a release (even if you sell it, as art).

I could see it as an optional part of the challenge; I don't think it would be right to make it mandatory. Heck, as Fix has pointed out, we have enough problems just getting people to show up.
                      I could see making the release thing optional. The problem is that street doesn't always lend itself to getting the release.

Take photo - run up to person - explain what is happening - stuff release under nose - ask for signature.

I just don't see that happening a lot. If Brian wants to play that way, good on him. When I do street (and not that often), I want it anonymous and dedicated to the process of getting street shots, not about running around with releases.
                      Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

Comment

I wasn't talking street photography, I was talking portrait. In street you catch people on the fly. In portrait, you stop them, explain what you're doing, set up a shot and click.

It was just an idea anyway. If the shoot is on a Saturday in September I'm out as they're all booked. It would have to be a Sunday for me.

Comment

I'll gladly move it to a Sunday, as I don't have a real preference.

And Sunday will most likely get Marshall as well.

Comment

Another vote for either Saturday or Sunday, whichever is best for others.

Comment

Saturday/Sunday doesn't matter to me!

Would be interesting doing the model release thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X