Sept 26 Shoot - Images taken @ PB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sept 26 Shoot - Images taken @ PB

I developed 2 of the 3 rolls. There's some street and a couple of surfing pics. I believe there are more surfing pics on the 3rd roll; once I process that remaining roll I will post any good photos from it in this thread. In the meantime, here's what I got:

I got the legendary Canon f/1.8 a couple months ago and never got a chance to put it through its paces. I spent this entire shoot with it wide open (at f/1.8). I don't think I'll make that mistake again; some of the vignetting is so bad I could only describe it as Holga-esque. Next time I do street w/ it, I'm sticking to f/2.8 or higher (especially in bright daylight).

Re: Sept 26 Shoot - Images taken @ PB

You've some nice shots here. imo. I find it interesting that so many people crossing a street had their arms crossed at the same time. #3 is awesome. I like the feel of #1 though I think the comp is just a little off. What does the tog think?
    Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
    Cheers
    John
    Flickr
    Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
    Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
    Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
    Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
    Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
    Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
    (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

Originally posted by inSANe DIEGO View Post
      I like the feel of #1 though I think the comp is just a little off. What does the tog think?
      I think #1 was hastily/sloppily cropped to try and follow the "rule of thirds." Here is the original full frame of the image:

In fact all of the shots were cropped in one way or another—there is a lot of extra space on full frame 35mm, especially when shooting subjects from a distance on a 50mm lens.

P.S. God I love Rodinal...

Comment

See what this image would look like cropped the other way. Crop away the path. I covered it with a piece of paper and I personally like it with more ocean.
        Originally posted by thebdt View Post
        I think #1 was hastily/sloppily cropped to try and follow the "rule of thirds." Here is the original full frame of the image:

In fact all of the shots were cropped in one way or another—there is a lot of extra space on full frame 35mm, especially when shooting subjects from a distance on a 50mm lens.

P.S. God I love Rodinal...
        Always think positive, but expect the worst and nothing bad will ever happen.

http://hanratty.smugmug.com

Gear:
        Olympus E-30
        Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 (28-84mm conversion)
        Olympus 40-150mm f/4-5.6 (80-300mm conversion)
        Olympus 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (140-600mm conversion)

Comment

Well, I developed the last reel; they are all surfing pics, and I wasn't all that impressed with them, frankly. Out of roughly 33 frames, these are the best two:

Comment

Here's some of mine from the Saturday session...

Homeless in the Lap of Luxury...

Just one today, let me catch just one...

A comfortable life together...

A pelican and his friend...

Sharing a moment...

Ready for cruisin'...

Comment

Fantastic BV! I loved everyone of them.
              Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
              Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

"Just one" and "Sharing a moment" are standouts in an excellent crowd.
                Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

http://dkbarto.daportfolio.com

Comment

Originally posted by thebdt View Post
                  Out of roughly 33 frames, these are the best two:
                  For some reason I think this is great, Not that 31 exposures were wasted but the fact that you are mature in you photography to admit it when 98% of the rest are junk. Most photogs try to justify a bad shot.
                  Im with you on scraping the bad ones. Even with instant gratification of digital when viewing them on the computer later I end up trashing them all.

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

thebdt-

I like number one with either the original crop or what BVStaples recommended, both good takes on a nice "look" captured.

Number two made me smile. Probably not something I'd print and keep myself, but great timing.

All your surf shots would make the cut to keep for me. Nice timing and lines throughout.

The crossing the street shots are "meh," I don't see much in those aside from arms crossed and the little boy looking up to the cool surfers.
                    See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

BVStaples-

All nice shots. Great varied perspectives, great contrasts between subjects and using the whole frame. Your eye is very different from mine, I could definitely sit down with a book of your shots and learn a whole bunch.

I had motorcycle trouble Saturday morning and had to take care of it, and figured if anyone was there and didn't see me, they would have my number. Sorry for the lack of leadership on this one.
                      See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

BV—I especially liked the man w/ the pelican, and then also the bike cruiser shots. You definitely schooled us a bit on the power of medium format; all the images have great tonality. I'm not diggin the captions you wrote out at all; I think they frankly detract from the power of the message in each photo (especially the pelican/homeless shot, which I think is more wistful and profound than your message gives it credit for).

Fix—I normally try to avoid pics of children, if only because the "aw cute" factor often overpowers any real "street" message; I guess I couldn't resist here, though. I appreciate the C&C on the crowd/crossing shots. I'm definitely still finding my way doing crowds. Also, as to your not being there for the shoot: it was a disappointment, but I figure with all the times we've flaked and you've shown, you're entitled to have a transportation issue once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Ruiz View Post
                          For some reason I think this is great, Not that 31 exposures were wasted but the fact that you are mature in you photography to admit it when 98% of the rest are junk. Most photogs try to justify a bad shot.
                          Im with you on scraping the bad ones. Even with instant gratification of digital when viewing them on the computer later I end up trashing them all.
                          I've seen how full your hard drive is liar!
                          Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

I know and I really really need to go through them and trash them, I have cr2's taking up way to much storage.

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

hey man, those are some cool pictures from crystal pier, could you put up some more of those surfers.
                              thanks
                              those kids are rippin!

Comment

Working...
                              X