November Group Shoot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: November Group Shoot

Some family biz just came up for me that I have to handle on Sunday, I'm out.
    See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

Someone want to post specifics yet? Sunday is coming up quick. So far I have figured out it's in the Torrey Pines area about 2pm. Also have figured that there will be a fee depending on where we go and/or where we park. Need all this stuff laid out clearly please.

Where exactly are we all going to meet up?
      When exactly are we all going to meet up?
      Fees if any?
      Any further details greatly appreciated.
      Always think positive, but expect the worst and nothing bad will ever happen.

http://hanratty.smugmug.com

Gear:
      Olympus E-30
      Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 (28-84mm conversion)
      Olympus 40-150mm f/4-5.6 (80-300mm conversion)
      Olympus 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (140-600mm conversion)

Comment

This sounds like it could be fun. Could I join? I've been wanting to find some good photo spots.

Comment

I'm in!! I will meet at the steps of the lower parking lot. Will there be a leader to gather the troupes? Judy

Comment

I'll be in next time. I'm flying to DC tomorrow for Thanksgiving - definitely bringing the camera.
            www.garryh.com

Strike the Design

Comment

Pretty much a day left and no final decisions? Like above, there seems to be a general idea, but no diffinitive meeting spot. Hope somebody posts an exact meeting time and place or this month could be a bust also. I hate showing up and walking around eyeballing people to see if they have a camera and if they do ask if they're from SDPF.

Gear:
              Olympus E-30

Comment

I'm not familiar with that area so I couldn't say point A or B.

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
                Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

I'm going to opt out of this shoot - just not enough detail to hold my day open. Judy

Comment

not sure how to do it but I want to unsubscribe , Judy

Comment

The meeting is 2:00 on Sunday, at the lower Torrey Pines Parking lot. Meet there and then check around for possible surfers, then go to the upper lot and shoot from there around on some of the trails.

I'll have maps available, a Docent for more detailed information about locations and what is good/bad at this time of year.

Any other questions you can post here, PM me or (if really really desperate) give me a shout on my phone:

Eight-(4 + 1)-Eight - 3 Eight (5 + 1) - 2 One NIne nine.
                      Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

http://dkbarto.daportfolio.com

Comment

One question. How do you gt to the lower parking lot of Torrey Pines. I have never been to Torrey Pines and so am completely clueless. Anybody have general directions off of the I-5?

Comment

Originally posted by ahcigar1 View Post
                          One question. How do you gt to the lower parking lot of Torrey Pines. I have never been to Torrey Pines and so am completely clueless. Anybody have general directions off of the I-5?
                          Exit Carmel Valley Road and go west to the water. Turn south on the Coast Hwy which will also be Torrey pines road. Drive to the south end of the beach streetside parking (which is free). Parking lot is at the base of the hill at the south end of that strip of beach. Parking is paid, so park along the hwy if you can to save money. It's a short walk. Here's a map of the area. I love google maps...
                          torrey pines san diego, ca - Google Maps
                          Last edited by inSANe DIEGO; 11-21-2009, 11:21 AM.
                          Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
                          Cheers
                          John
                          Flickr
                          Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
                          Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
                          Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
                          Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
                          Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
                          Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
                          Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
                          (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

John, Thanks for the help with the map.

Will you be there?
                            Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

http://dkbarto.daportfolio.com

Comment

You asked for feedback about group shoots, so I hope you find my input useful.

Group shoots are a good idea and fun if properly executed. I have followed this thread and think you might be making some errors that the SDDSLR group overcame some years ago, making it possible for them to run a regular group shoot without much of a hitch.

Organizing regular shoots is a bit of work if you want them to be a success. You can't just throw out a vague idea and hope something gains traction.

Here is what I learned:
                              1. Appoint a group shoot manager to take responsibility for deciding on all locations. Don't start a thread saying "let's have a group shoot, if so where?" It ends up with nobody making decisions until the last minute and people not committing. You can ask for ideas for future consideration in a separate thread and add good ones to the list after research.
                              2. Pick a regular day and time and stick to it. People will come to trust that there is going to always be a shoot and turn up for it. I always scheduled the second Saturday of the month and as organizer turned up rain or shine. In the beginning, just five people showed, but it quickly grew. If you want to do overnight trips, make them special events not group shoots.
                              3. Research the location. If it is at a park etc. make sure they welcome groups. If it is somewhere like Torrey Pines make sure you have access at a time when light is suitable for photography. I usually visited the location in advance to check it out, even when it was already familiar to me.
                              4. Publish the shoot details no later than two weeks before the shoot. Be clear about date and time to meet, any restrictions, and where to meet. If there is an entrance fee make sure it is published with the shoot detail. Provide a map.
                              5. Try to select locations that have easy access for non-hikers or people that like to carry a mountain of equipment. Keep locations to places where there are lots of opportunities and look good in varied light. A group, shoot is after all a social occasion, so a one-shot location requiring particular light isn't suitable.
                              6. Try to vary locations so that the animal photographers get a chance one month, street photographers another etc. Not everyone has a long lens or an interest in bird photography, for example, so you have to vary it.
                              7. Put up a dedicated gallery so people can share their images in one place.

Here are some locations I've organized for group shoots that were successful:
                              • Shelter Island
                              • Old Town
                              • SDSU Campus
                              • Pacific Beach
                              • La Jolla Cove
                              • Star of India and Harbor Drive
                              • Coronado Ferry Landing
                              • Escondido
                              • Hotel del Coronado
                              • Little Italy
                              • Belmont Park
                              • UCSD Arts Building
                              • Gaslamp Quarter
                              • Carlsbad
                              • Balboa Park
                              • Encinitas
                              • Salk Institute
                              • Carillo Ranch
                              • Vista Steam Museum
                              • Zoo

I hope this helps and I wish you success in building a regular shoot that benefits all San Diego photographers.

Regards
                              Mark
                              www.markholmesphoto.com

Comment

Agree with everything said above. Unfortunately I left home all day before the post with the details and have made other plans. I will not be attending the Torrey Pines shoot. Information got to me just a little too late.

Gear:
                                Olympus E-30

Comment

Working...
                                X