X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July Photo Challenge - Still Life

Hey all you San Diego Photographers!

It's time for July's photo challenge, and it's a good one. The category is Still life, and you can use any shot you've taken in the past, or you can make a new image specifically for this contest. The winner of this month's contest will receive a Smugmug account (or $25 print credit at said site) for a year!

What exactly is a still-life? It's a picture/painting/piece of art that is predominantly of inanimate objects, either natural or man-made items.

Please read all the rules so we are all on the same page. I will be closing this thread promptly, and we will have a shorter voting time August (1-5th) in order to keep things moving.

The rules are:

-In the best spirit of the challenge, please try to go make a new image along this theme, but we will accept old images too.

-1 entry per member. You can change your entry photo as much as you like (please do so by editing your own post to reduce clutter), but when I close the thread at the end of the month, you are locked in.

-You must use an external host for your photo. Our hosting on the forum is quite robust, but it takes about 10X as long to make the voting thread work as it should if we have to use internal links, so please do us mods a favor here.

-Keep your posted photo's resolution to 800 pixels by 800 pixels. Any more, and you will be DQ'ed at the end of the month. Not everyone has 1024+ resolution monitors, so please be considerate.

-PG-13 or safer. As usual, our member base has no problems adhering to the rules, but we do want to keep this site very work friendly and that includes this contest.

Here's my entry:

See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Re: July Photo Challenge - Still Life

Wow Anthony, what type of plant is that? The colors really pop. I like it!
    www.garryh.com

Strike the Design

Comment

Fix, Epic shot man I love it! Is this with the russian lens?

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
      Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

Originally posted by GarryHall View Post
        Wow Anthony, what type of plant is that? The colors really pop. I like it!
        No idear on species or genus, it was at the San Diego Wild Animal Park. Thank you!

Originally posted by Nick Ruiz View Post
        Fix, Epic shot man I love it! Is this with the russian lens?
        Thanks Nick. This was shot manual-focus with the 100mm f/2.0 at f/2.0, minimum focus distance.
        See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

My submission for still life:

Natural light from skylight shining down onto crystal glaze pottery with wooden cat sculpture from Thailand.
          Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

http://dkbarto.daportfolio.com

Comment

Oh snap, I like!
            Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
            Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

Since I had some good reviews of this pic and I really think it's one of my better flower shots I shall submit this for consideration:

Jeff
              http://picasaweb.google.com/jholzphoto

Comment

Fix, what a gorgeous photo! I just can't stop looking at it. The colors are intriguing...
                My posts are natural products. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Comment

only 3 photos are posted and i'm already having a hard time deciding who to vote for. it is going to be a tough one.
                  Patrick
                  Arsenal:
                  Nikon D80
                  MB-D80 Grip
                  Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D
                  Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8D
                  Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5 - 5.6 VR
                  SB-800 AF Speedlight

Comment

This should be a great contest, starting off real strong here folks!

Comment

Wow, I absolutely love this photo! I can imagine it on the wall in our guest bedroom (it's my purple room). Beautiful work!

Kristen

Comment

Originally posted by justice887 View Post
                        Wow, I absolutely love this photo! I can imagine it on the wall in our guest bedroom (it's my purple room). Beautiful work!

Kristen

Which one? Inquiring minds would like to know...

Comment

Originally posted by Fixcinater View Post
                          Which one? Inquiring minds would like to know...
                          She mentioned "purple" so it must be yours... or Jeff's. hehe
                          www.garryh.com

Strike the Design

Comment

Originally posted by GarryHall View Post
                            She mentioned "purple" so it must be yours... or Jeff's. hehe
                            Sorry for not being more specific - I realized my reply wasn't attached to Jeff's picture when I posted it (although the flowers appear to have somewhat of a blue hue to them...looks like agapanthus (sp). I really love the clarity and color of Anthony's photo too. Looks like it's time for me to get out there and try to submit something before the end of the month!

Comment

La Purisma Mission

Last edited by Mac; 07-24-2009, 10:06 AM.
                              m+m Photography
                              My Pbase

Comment

Working...
                              X