X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August 2009 Monthly Challenge

Hey all you San Diego Photographers!

It's time for August's photo challenge, and it's a good one after last month's challenge of EPIC proportions. The category is Long Exposures, and you can use any shot you've taken in the past, or you can make a new image specifically for this contest. The winner of this month's contest will receive a Pro Smugmug account (or $25 print credit at said site) for a year!

What exactly is a long exposure? It's any image that had an exposure time (Tv) of 2 seconds or greater. That's our working definition for this month's challenge. It does NOT need to be a "night" shot in order to qualify.

Please read all the rules so we are all on the same page. I will be closing this thread promptly after the month is over, and we will have a short voting time Sept (1-5th) in order to keep things moving.

The rules are:

-In the best spirit of the challenge, please try to go make a new image along this theme, but we will accept old images too.

-1 entry per member. You can change your entry photo as much as you like (please do so by editing your own post to reduce clutter), but when I close the thread at the end of the month, you are locked in.

-You must use an external host for your photo. Our hosting on the forum is quite robust, but it takes about 10X as long to make the voting thread work as it should if we have to use internal links, so please do us mods a favor here.

-Keep your posted photo's resolution to 800 pixels by 800 pixels. Any more, and you will be DQ'ed at the end of the month. Not everyone has 1024+ resolution monitors, so please be considerate.

-PG-13 or safer. As usual, our member base has no problems adhering to the rules, but we do want to keep this site very work friendly and that includes this contest.

Here's my entry:
    Last edited by Fixcinater; 09-01-2009, 12:19 PM.
    See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Re: August 2009 Monthly Challenge

3rd street tunnel in L.A.

Last edited by Mac; 08-13-2009, 09:40 AM.
    m+m Photography
    My Pbase

Comment

Comment

oh wow. I have a feeling there are going to be some excellent shots this month.
        www.garryh.com

Strike the Design

Comment

My placeholder until I can think of something cool... hehe
          www.garryh.com

Strike the Design

Comment

Last edited by inSANe DIEGO; 08-31-2009, 10:26 PM.
            Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
            Cheers
            John
            Flickr
            Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
            Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
            Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
            Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
            Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
            Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
            Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
            (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

my placeholder
              Shooting Nikon D90
              11-16mm f/2.8 of pure Tokina sexiness
              18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR Nikkor
              50mm f/1.8 Nikkor
              35mm f/1.8 Nikkor Dx
              55-200mm f/4-5.6 DI Quantary -FOR SALE

www.creativesoup.com

Comment

Dang it Jerod!
                Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
                Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Starks View Post
                  Dang it Jerod!
                  Ive been saving that one man... Ive also got the Windansea one as a blackup! :P

Comment

I think the challenge about the challenge is to bluff successfully enough to be able to slip the winner in at the last moment.
                    Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
                    Cheers
                    John
                    Flickr
                    Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
                    Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
                    Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
                    Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
                    Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
                    Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
                    Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
                    (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

Here is my entry. Oldie. Some other stuff is on my dead desktop so I'll put this here and then check to see if I burned them to CD.

If you see a good fight, get in it.
                      My Flickr!
                      PBase!

Comment

Blue-Moon.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have much to work with at the moment but I need to post something. Kinda jonesin...
                        The camera makes you forget you're there. It's not like you are hiding but you forget, you are just looking so much.
                        Annie Leibovitz

Comment

The rules are quite clear, but when asking to use an external host, you may want to list a few sites that can be used. Also, when asking to use 800 x 800 photos, you may want to give a brief explanation on how to shrink an image to that size using 2 or 3 of the most popular editing programs. And lastly, how do you get an image to show up on screen when using an external host?

I personally use Photobucket for external host and copy the img file name over to here. Quick and easy for me.

As far as shrinking the image to 800 x 800, most editors will allow you to plug in those dimensions somewhere and shrink the file according to size. Remember: Cropping to 800 x 800 is different than shrinking to 800 x 800.

I only point these facts out so there will be more entries and so if there is a really good enty that they don't get DQ'd because thier image was 801 x 801 or it would have been a really good image if they shrunk it and not cropped it.

If one of you mods could add brief tutorials to this post or links to other posts showing these tutorials on how to do these functions, we'd all appreciate it. I prefer the later because you can then use the links for future monthly challenges.
                          Always think positive, but expect the worst and nothing bad will ever happen.

http://hanratty.smugmug.com

Gear:
                          Olympus E-30
                          Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 (28-84mm conversion)
                          Olympus 40-150mm f/4-5.6 (80-300mm conversion)
                          Olympus 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (140-600mm conversion)

Comment

Originally posted by BeyondTheImage View Post
                            The rules are quite clear, but when asking to use an external host, you may want to list a few sites that can be used. Also, when asking to use 800 x 800 photos, you may want to give a brief explanation on how to shrink an image to that size using 2 or 3 of the most popular editing programs. And lastly, how do you get an image to show up on screen when using an external host?
                            We ask that it be 800 pixels on the longest side. Doesn't mean 800 x 800.

Ya know Ed, if you visited us more often you'd probably know how to get them in a post! But since ya don't... Click here!

I personally use Photobucket for external host and copy the img file name over to here. Quick and easy for me.
                            As in the link above, Flickr and Photobucket are listed.

I only point these facts out so there will be more entries and so if there is a really good enty that they don't get DQ'd because thier image was 801 x 801 or it would have been a really good image if they shrunk it and not cropped it.

If one of you mods could add brief tutorials to this post or links to other posts showing these tutorials on how to do these functions, we'd all appreciate it. I prefer the later because you can then use the links for future monthly challenges.
                            Thanks for the input... Now where's your entry knucklehead?
                            Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
                            Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

I only point these facts out so there will be more entries and so if there is a really good enty that they don't get DQ'd because thier image was 801 x 801 or it would have been a really good image if they shrunk it and not cropped it...

I've allowed at least 5 images compete the last 3-4 months even with over-sizing (most are right at 1024 pixels).

I haven't seen any that forced the forum window to scroll sideways, so I've let them slip by.
                              See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

Working...
                              X