Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noooobie!

Hey all-

So, I'm fairly new to SD (moved here from the Midwest after a short stop in the Central Valley back in '03). Took some photog classes in HS with an inherited old Canon TX (still have it, needs new seals), been in college since then for engineering, but I'm changing my mind and heading in an art degree direction.

Anyway, I shot with a P&S for a while, then bought a 40D and a 50mm f/1.8 II to get back into it. Had that setup since late July. Shoot portraits, candids, have shot one session with a friend's 7 day old baby, cars when I have them available (shooting a 350 tonight), and just basically trying to figure out where my strengths are. I need a flash!

Did I miss anything?
    See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Re: Noooobie!

Do you ride a fixie? Oh...and welcome to the forum.
    Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
    Cheers
    John
    Flickr
    Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
    Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
    Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
    Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
    Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
    Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
    (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

Yep. Have had my current setup for 2 years or so. Converted Centurion Ironman, Dura-ace LF hubs to Open-Pro rims. No maintenance, which is why I converted it in in the first place.
      Last edited by Fixcinater; 09-11-2008, 12:40 PM.
      See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

Hey, wait....I thought this was a photo forum not a motorhead forum ....Welcome, hope to see some photos of the fixie...what ever that is.
        Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Comment

There it is in various iterations. I haven't shot it in it's current setup though with the good wheels on it. I had some cheapo machine builds on there for a while as you can see in the first two.

Disclaimer! These shots are all OLD. Taken with my P&S, just recording the rides I took, versus trying to get epic shots. Hence, quite crap composition/final product, IMCO.*

More of my backlog of picts to come...watch this space!

* - In My Current Opinion.
          Last edited by Fixcinater; 09-11-2008, 01:15 PM.

Comment

It's a .... I thought a fixie was some sort of gas guzzling motorhead contraption. Well, now you know I know nothing about bikes or cars!

Comment

LOL @ "IMCO" I have to use that from now on as my opinions seem to be changing quite often.

Those are great PS shots. Not allot of people can pull those off very well.

Welcome!

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
              Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

My first ride was a Centurion Elite. I'm now on a Giant TCR Carbon Limited. My knees require gears at this time. I want a fixie bad tho. We'll have to go shoot the next Madison at the velodrome!

Ty- You're probably thinking of "fuelie"...
                Cheers
                John
                Flickr
                Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
                (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

Thanks guys. I live really close to the Velodrome, so I try to go if I'm not taking picts.

How many active members are there on this board? Seems like it's pretty low-traffic, but content is very good.

Comment

I've noticed about a dozen regular people posting and a whole bunch of looky loos. Some of which will pop a comment in here an there. The number of regulars seems to be growing though.
                    Always think positive, but expect the worst and nothing bad will ever happen.

http://hanratty.smugmug.com

Gear:
                    Olympus E-30
                    Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 (28-84mm conversion)
                    Olympus 40-150mm f/4-5.6 (80-300mm conversion)
                    Olympus 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (140-600mm conversion)

Comment

What we need is more "organized" get togethers to draw those lurking in the fringes to participate more! Workshops are good...but need to give people enough time to sign up and publicize a bit more. I'll spend some time in the near future on this.

Comment

I've got a buddy at the AI of SD. I'll try to get him here as well, he is quite good, even with the crap Nikon he shoots with.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixcinater View Post
                          ...even with the crap Nikon he shoots with.
                          *GASP*
                          Cheers
                          John
                          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by inSANe DIEGO View Post
                            *GASP*
                            Hahah oh oh....

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
                            Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

It's a D80!

Hahahahaha. I saw you guys pointing out your anti-bias with almost every mention that you make of any sort of gear. So...just in good fun.

I do very much like his 70-200 VR 2.8 though...yes indeed!

Comment

Working...
                              X