Newbie...What Do You Think?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie...What Do You Think?

I'm relatively new to all of this, so I'm interested in getting some feedback based on what I think are a few of my best photos so far:

Canon XSi w/ Tamron 18-270mm (VC)
    1/30 second, /4
    ISO 400
    Focal Length = 39 mm
    Tungsten white balanced to get the blue tone to the image
    No flash used; the fountain is lit around the base with a few lights.

Nikkormat FTn
    Nikon Nikkor-S Auto 50mm f/1.4 lens
    Ilford Delta 3200 Professional, shot at 1600
    Shot at f/1.4

Casio Exilim EX S-600 point and shoot Stitched together manually before Photoshop had (or before I knew about, not sure which) the automated panorama feature.

Canon XSi w/ Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8

Another with the trusty Casio
    http://www.flickr.com/absorption_line
    http://www.tanyaharrisonofmars.com

Re: Newbie...What Do You Think?

Images 1, 3, and 5 are great (hehe the odd numbers). I especially like the use of skewed angle in 1, and the leading lines into mist in 5 (3 is just plain classic). As for #2, it is interesting, but I feel like it fails to break through with a strong message or "punch." #4 is, well, it's kind of cool, but it's been done a lot (at least to my mind).

Comment

as was said, #1 and #5 are both interesting. #3 is beautiful...
      Check out my Photobucket Albums Showcasing United States Fire Apparatus:
      http://photobucket.com/albums/v660/RescueKUjo/

Comment

Without sitting down and staring at these for a while, I'd say the only thing that stands out is that you're missing a quarter of the story in #2. The street performer is cut off and the kids are smack in the middle in a snapshot way. The rest of the shots are pretty darn good. The pano is superb.
        Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
        Cheers
        John
        Flickr
        Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
        Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
        Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
        Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
        Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
        Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
        Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
        (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

At the risk of sounding redundant I really like the composition in 1 and 5. And 3 just seems very well done. It makes me want to get out and start doing more nature shots.

Comment

Thanks guys, it's good to get some honest feedback. #1 is probably my favorite shot of all time, but that may be because I'm rather homesick for Seattle lately. #5 is near some of the hot springs in Yellowstone, and it was really misty because it was FREEZING outside even though it was late May. This was another photo from the same day, a fun shot with my dad (he's always the one who's drafted as my co-pilot on long road trips):

Comment

I think this last photo would have been better if he were just standing smack in the middle of the walkway, instead of this off-side part (which I wouldn't even put in the photo). Beyond that, it's ethereal and I like it overall.

Comment

Originally posted by thebdt View Post
                I think this last photo would have been better if he were just standing smack in the middle of the walkway, instead of this off-side part (which I wouldn't even put in the photo). Beyond that, it's ethereal and I like it overall.
                Oh, that one's not meant to be a "good" photo, it was just a fun one from the vacation.

Comment

For being relatively new at this, I think your photos are great. I see a lot of technical thought process in your photos - they don't look accidental.
                  Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Comment

Great shots Tanya. #3 is Amazing!!
                    Jeff
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/jholzphoto

Comment

Originally posted by Ty View Post
                      For being relatively new at this, I think your photos are great. I see a lot of technical thought process in your photos - they don't look accidental.
                      +1

They look like well composed, well-thought out images that were made, rather than "taken." That takes quite a fine eye, I do believe.
                      See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

For a "noob" your skills sure are better than many "experienced" togs I've met.
                        Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
                        Cheers
                        John
                        Flickr
                        Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
                        Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
                        Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
                        Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
                        Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
                        Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
                        Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
                        (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

#1 is awesome.
                          www.garryh.com

Strike the Design

Comment

Blown away everytime I look at the pano!
                            Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
                            Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

That's an interesting angle on the fountain and statue at the Olympic Sculpture Park in Seattle. (That thing is also a rather weird combination of statues too, but that's a whole different discussion.)

Nice shots. Quite a few nice ones on your website too. You've traveled to some great places.

Comment

Working...
                              X