X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nativescapes Path

Path at Nativescapes

What could be better, worse, etc.
    Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

http://dkbarto.daportfolio.com

Re: Nativescapes Path

I like the composition. The shadows are too strong but I'm sure there was nothing you could do besides bracketing.
    What I do notice is the Strong Chromatic Aberration on the upper left of the trees.

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
    Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

No depth in the image, darks are way too dark, horizon is off. No real subject of interest in the photo, my mind just wanders.
      Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

I like the sky. The lower part is just landscaping.

What these fellows above said, pretty much.

Comment

Good: Natural looking colors and contrast, if you're into the idea of shooting what you see to replicate the scene precisely, not romanticizing it at all.
          Good: Looks like you waited for a cloud to cover the sun, even though it was a largely cloud-less day.
          Good: Pick of aperture, you don't need f/16 to have the whole scene reasonably sharp at 24mm.
          Good: Choice between losing detail in the skies and losing details in the dark trees, even in matrix mode, which on my Canon goes a bit too bright for my taste/post-processing style.
          Good: Walking the eye down the path/framing with the trees/centered comp.

Bad: Path leads nowhere but off to camera left (would be stronger image if it just disappeared around a bend, to give a better sense of depth in the forest).
          Bad: Looks like no post processing/care was taken after the shutter was pressed. There's a black spot in the sky that any careful-eyed viewer would gravitate towards.
          Bad: Mid-day, or nearly so. As an artistic shot, you lose major points by A) not highlighting how fantastically blue the sky was (in a very graphic way), B) not waiting for "better" light for a scenic shot. Some people might argue that golden hour is overrated, but I disagree and think this could be a much better image if re-taken at sunrise or just after.
          Bad: Mid-day lighting! Do you see how all of the plants lose their shape and dimensionality by having them lit by the sun at such a high/contrasty position? It's very flat and the whole scene loses any depth the 24mm and wide DOF should have given it.
          Bad: The hose/other gardening tools should have been removed either before the shot or after (in post).
          See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

The black spot - possibly a dead pixel in the CCD. I'll have to check this out.

I didn't notice that, and I'm sad to have to admit it.
            Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

Comment

Oh man thats not good, I thought it was a bird or even a UFO! I guess it is a bit to dark to be a bird @ that distance.

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

Quick check of the original DNG shows that it is dirt on the sensor.

Comment

Any response to the critiques?
                  See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by Fixcinater View Post
                    Any response to the critiques?
                    Uh - Yep, all good. :P

When I took the photo, I was actually there to pickup some material for a plant sale, and happened to notice the clouds and shadows. I may have pushed too hard with the shadows, and thus the C/A in the upper left.

As to the discussion of the photo:
                    I wish the path changed direction, however it just wanders down, then makes a T into another path.
                    I couldn't move the hose, and when I thought about it, as my style is more 'here is the way the world is, live it' I don't clone things in or out. Thus you can walk down the path and know where you've seen it before.
                    About mid-day lighting: Has every photo of any distinction been taken during the golden hour or using artificial lighting? Henri Cartier-Bresson might disagree.

All the comments about the photo are fair, and I have no reason to argue with any of them.

Thanks to all for the comments and I'll be out there soon and check out a different path to see what may happen with it.

Comment

Originally posted by dkbarto View Post
                      Uh - Yep, all good. :P

When I took the photo, I was actually there to pickup some material for a plant sale, and happened to notice the clouds and shadows. I may have pushed too hard with the shadows, and thus the C/A in the upper left.
                      I personally don't mind the C/A, it's only evident if you're looking for it and it doesn't make or break the image.

I couldn't move the hose, and when I thought about it, as my style is more 'here is the way the world is, live it' I don't clone things in or out. Thus you can walk down the path and know where you've seen it before.
                      I'm confused by this approach, so please take my questioning as purely such, not an attack on your attitude towards photography in general...Do you find it objectionable to try and record (and later present to others by sharing the image) a scene under flattering conditions? If so, what was your intent in recording this scene as you did?

About mid-day lighting: Has every photo of any distinction been taken during the golden hour or using artificial lighting? Henri Cartier-Bresson might disagree.
                      Sure he might, and Ansel probably would too, and so would I, if you were trying to get images that looked best in certain other kinds of light.

I would, however, say that if you're trying to make a powerful photograph (which, presumably, is your goal), and you are not happy with or interested in isolating the elements that drew your eyes into the scene (ie: shoot just the clouds, or find an interesting composition with just the shadows), the final product would benefit from having interesting lighting applied to it as the light itself would probably become the main subject of the image.

All the comments about the photo are fair, and I have no reason to argue with any of them.

Thanks to all for the comments and I'll be out there soon and check out a different path to see what may happen with it.

Thanks for continuing the discussion and presenting it here for us to discuss in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixcinater View Post
                        . . . what was your intent in recording this scene as you did?
                        My intent on this particular photo was to take it and put it into the critique forum for discussion. I was wondering what others would say about the lighting, composition, and overall effect of the photo.

I've been learning a lot from the folks here and this photo was taken specifically to discover more about how I take them, and what people think of them.

I'm not going to get graded (like some others who hang out around here), and I always enjoy and look forward to feedback.

Comment

Working...
                        X