Orchids in a softer light...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orchids in a softer light...

37 were shot, 6 were selected by me, of that 3 made the cut w/ a friend's review. Here are the best three:

Earlier this week I emailed my studio professor with examples of the digital color flower shots I've been working on. She was more satisfied with the extreme-close-up shots, as she felt that they represented a more unique voice, instead of being merely Mapplethorpe-esque. I dunno myself... but I took her advice and ran with it. C&C welcome...

Re: Orchids in a softer light...

I personally think that the first one is the best of the bunch. But all of them are great shots.

Comment

I like how #2 seems very soft and delicate. The others have harder lines and less motion through the frame than the middle, it seems to me.

#1 has too much negative space at the bottom, and seems dense and clumped at the top for me to keep it on top of the podium, but it's a nice shot anyway.
      See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

I do very much like the softer lighting and the soft colors you have going here. Especially with the black background as a heavy/hard contrast, it makes the flowers seem very frail and in need of protection.
        See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

2 and 3 are the ones I returned to.

With 1, I agree with Fix that there is too much negative space at the bottom, throwing out the balance.

2 is an interesting take on an orchid flower that you usually don't see. That makes it interesting.

3 is a nice closeup, pretty standard, beautifully exposed and composed.
          Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

http://dkbarto.daportfolio.com

Comment

This was left on the digital cutting room floor. Should I have left it there, or does it rank among the others' quality?

Comment

I like it. Soft quality of the light adds to the overall 'orchid' feeling of the photo.
              There is good detail throughout and I don't see any over/under exposure in the flower.

While I still prefer #3, it is only because of the macro nature of 3. I'd consider this new contender the 2nd best of the lot.
              Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

http://dkbarto.daportfolio.com

Comment

Working...
              X