Question about the background

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the background

This was taken against a bright background; for some reason though the sky appears to be washed out and not blue. I tried to play around with exposure compensation, tried spot and center weighted metering, had the white balance set to cloudy as it was cloudy outside.

Can you guys point out how can I get the blue background without loosing the subject's details?

Thanks!

Last edited by Sameer; 11-23-2009, 09:41 PM.

Re: Question about the background

The problem you have is that the dynamic range of your camera sensor cannot record everything in the scene all at once. If you expose for the sky, the foreground will be underexposed. There are two ways to solve this. 1. HDR and 2. Use artificial lighting (flashes, strobes) to out power the sun. Not sure how big your subject is but I imagine that if you use strobes, you'll not a lot of them to light up the entire scene.
    Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Comment

Bracketing would be the best way to go about this, then you would layer them in photoshop. Circular Polarizers also help to combat this.

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
      Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

Thanks guys!

HDR sounds like something new for me to explore. Is there any good (preferably free!) software you can suggest?

Comment

There's allot of them out there, You can also download a trial version of Photoshop for 30 days to hone your skills with :-)

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
          Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

I just picked up Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 which was $39.99 up till yesterday. Some places may still have it for that price. It comes with an HDR Merge. Doesn't offer the same amount of control Photomatix does, but it works very well for the result you're looking for and the program does a lot more. Limited RAW support at the moment, but does a fine job on jpegs and tiffs.
            Always think positive, but expect the worst and nothing bad will ever happen.

http://hanratty.smugmug.com

Gear:
            Olympus E-30
            Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 (28-84mm conversion)
            Olympus 40-150mm f/4-5.6 (80-300mm conversion)
            Olympus 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (140-600mm conversion)

Comment

Working...
            X