X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Niece

What do you think?

2 Genesis 200 w/ 28"x40" softboxes
    -Camera right is Key set to f8 1/250th about 4 ft away.
    -Camera left is fill set 2 stops lower than key approx same distance away.
    1 Gesesis 200 w/ 14"x56" strip box
    -On the same plane as camera left box.
    -Verticle Position pointed toward nieces side/back.
    -Set 2 stops higher than key.

Camera settings at 1/250 f/8

PP:
    -Lightroom first for color corrections then convert to jpeg.
    -Opened jpeg in Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 for the following in order:
    -Skin Smoothing
    -Soft Focus
    -Sharpen
    -Border

I really like how this one came out. My sister in-law thought it made her look too "grown up". She's only 9. Sister in-law and niece really liked it so I printed one for them. General consensus around the house was it looks very good. They're untrained to look for any flaws and I don't see any myself so please see if you can find some and let me know so I can work on it.
    Last edited by BeyondTheImage; 11-24-2009, 10:32 AM.
    Always think positive, but expect the worst and nothing bad will ever happen.

http://hanratty.smugmug.com

Gear:
    Olympus E-30
    Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 (28-84mm conversion)
    Olympus 40-150mm f/4-5.6 (80-300mm conversion)
    Olympus 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (140-600mm conversion)

Re: My Niece

It may look a touch warm to some people, but believe it or not, she is a little on the yellow side of tan. Must be the filipino blood in her.

Gear:
    Olympus E-30

Comment

The shot is a bit over exposed. I would say its missing allot of detail, you can see this yourself by a lil trick I learned, If your using an LCD display tilt the screen down (A if you were closing a laptop) and look @ the photo from above. You'll see that her face and arms pop out, thats because its too hot and its missing bits of info :-)

Did you take an overall meter reading? Metering each light is the way to do it but you have to take an overall reading as well with all lights on, If it came out to f/11 you would then lower each light to get you overall reading of f/8. doing so would keep your ratios the same.

That seems like allot of lights coming from the front and your key is overpowering the other lights. (to me this looks like one light camera right, but the extra catch light tells me different) What would have been nice is to have the 14x56 camera right/barebulb & behind her facing down or even up to make it a Kicker light instead.

Not sure how many portrait sessions you have under your belt but my biggest recommendation is to start with just ONE light using reflectors etc before going all out with 3.

In your post processing, why are you skin softening on top of soft focusing? I ask that because her eyes are very soft, Shooting @ f/8 I would expect her eyelids to be sharper than they are. When softening in post try not to include key elements such as the lips, eyes and nostrils. If you do carefully "history" back those details. Just make sure the mix isn't so noticeable you can see where the softening starts and stops.

Lastly, is there a reason you shot this in landscape rather than portrait?

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
      Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

I agree, it's a bit blown out, and I think the pose is inappropriate for her age group. I also don't get the weird swirls framing the image. Very nice eyes, though.

Comment

Was actually impromptu. Brother came over with his family around the time I was messing with my gear and his kids wanted me to take some pictures just for fun. Got my nephew throwing a paper airplane in a few. The post processing was just experimenting and having fun. Never used Corel Paint Shop Pro before and thought this was a good image to do it with. Landscape because of her arms and I wasn't planning to take a shot. Was not posed, she was messing with her hair and I caught her looking at the camera. I can see the overexposure, but it wasn't overexposed to the point where anything was blown out. Any detail that looks like it's missing was because of the softening and smoothing. I had the exposure lower, but my sister inlaw and niece liked it brighter. I did not take an overall meter reading, will definitely do that in the future. Thanks for the feedback, I'll post the original later and maybe a couple other fun ones that we got.

Gear:
          Olympus E-30

Comment

Good enough :-)

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
            Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

Indeed, it's a charming image (though I still don't like the borders). I guess if you post in the "critique" section you get a dissection of an image automatically. Ultimately, though, an image is about how it reaches and touches its audience as much as it is about proper exposure, color balance, etc. If this image did its job then good work!

Comment

Thanks guys. I posted here hoping you all would pick up every detail out of place. That's how I learn. First thing I've learned so far is not to forget to meter all the lights at once. Second thing is Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 actually does a decent job and was only $39.99 up until yesterday. Back up to $99.99 I believe. The oversoftening and overexposure were user error not program error. Programs only do what we tell them too. Up to this point, lastly I learned I wish I have a touch more space to work with. I have some room, but still can get a little cramped. The frame was chosen a) for fun, b) they liked it and c) because to me they seem to flow with her hair, but at the same time that can be a little distracting from the overall image. I'll keep playing and posting and you all keep helping me hone my skills.

Gear:
                Olympus E-30

Comment

Working...
                X