X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1 or #2?

Which do you prefer and why?
    Attached Files
    See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Re: #1 or #2?

#2. better colors.
    Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

http://dkbarto.daportfolio.com

Comment

Anything a bit more in-depth?
      See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

#2 with some editing, i like the colors more and the photo has a crisper feel
        website
        http://shainblumphoto.com/

Comment

Ok. I've got more time now than I did before.

#2 has better saturation, and color depth. The sky appears more 'filled in' and the crop concentrates on the horizontal nature of the photo. The rocks along the right look far more 'rock like' and the reflections in the water are more pronounced. The overall feel of #2 is more like being there.

Better?
          Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

Comment

I'm sorry I'm not digging them. They look washed out with nothing to really grab the viewers attention except the dust bnnies on number 2. With that said, #2 has more character and feel.

peace
            Amir
            Mammiya 120 / Sekor ~ Nikon 135 & FX / Nikkor
            http://amirs.smugmug.com/

Comment

# 2 with a bit of a crop of the excess nothingness to the left side.
              Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
              Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

#2 has a tighter composition. The two silos off to the right seem like they're part of the composition, instead of seeming clumisly there (like in #1). The colors suggest a mood more vividly in #2, and there is less extra space, which brings some balance to things.

Comment

Seems pretty negative overall...

What would you guys rate this, out of 10? Aesthetics/Originality.

Comment

A rating out of 10 is a little tough. It's obvious this subject matter isn't really in line with your passion, as an artist; it doesn't seem like you have much to say here. Is there any reason these two photos are so important to you, artistically?

Comment

I wouldn't say that anyone is trying to be negative or anything. I think our beef is that this isn't the type of stuff that we're used to seeing from you. You've set the bar for yourself pretty high in the past and when we see this all of us tend to just kinda go hmmm...

It's pretty much agreed that out of the two that have been posted it's number two that is preferred amongst most. That said... While you have done everything in your power to make the photo correct as far as composistion, and exposure I believe that most of us find the subject matter boring. Not saying that it's a bad photo from the technical aspect, just the subject matter.

While I look at the images and think, "wow I have never seen this place before." It is shortly there after that my mind and eyes look for something else to pull me into the photo and I realize there's nothing there. Maybe if there had been a boat or something in there with some people fishing or maybe if you had been in a boat on a foggy morning and shot just the pipe sticking out of the water.

So on a scale of 1-10.
                      Asthetics 4
                      Originality 6 as I had never seen this location before.
                      Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Comment

^ +1 to MSII for getting what I would have said except I was asleep when he said it.

Should he be playing on the Forum when he is at work? (Should I be?)

Comment

Cheers guys, you said what I was thinking, MSII.

Agreed it would have been better if there had been something else in it.

I shot a whole bunch that morning (actually forced myself to use a tripod and stop down the lens for once (I wasn't sure it would, I shoot the stupid things wide-open for such long periods of time, the diaphragm might have broken and I wouldn't even know it) as the mist rising off the reservoir was screaming EPIC at me, but I need to play around with curves and some post before it'll show what image I was seeing.

Comment

2. The sky isn't overexposed and the colors look better.
                            Jeff
                            http://picasaweb.google.com/jholzphoto

Comment

Originally posted by dkbarto View Post
                              Should he be playing on the Forum when he is at work? (Should I be?)
                              Gotta do something on my phone during my breaks... Otherwise I'll fall asleep.
                              Marshall

Comment

Working...
                              X