135mm Soft Focus Test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 135mm Soft Focus Test

Don't remember if I posted these before. I was testing out an old Canon 135mm Soft Focus f/2.8 lens. I like the exaggerated soft feel, but definitely can easily be overused. Fun little lens that's relatively fast. Think I'll pull it out more often.

Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Re: 135mm Soft Focus Test

Interesting lens, I'd never heard of it before. I particularly like the keyhole photo.
    http://www.flickr.com/absorption_line
    http://www.tanyaharrisonofmars.com

Comment

I think Canon still makes this lens. This type of lens was more popular pre-photoshop days where soft effects were done in-camera with filters. One day I'll dig into the lens design to figure out how the softness is achieved. It's intriguing in that it produces softness without looking completely out of focus.

Comment

When I had that lens I believe the switch simply moves an element slightly forward. Its a fantastic portrait lens and great for low light conditions with its F/2.8.
        I still remember the day I bought my wife some soft focus filters...lol I thought they were so cool! I still dig them out every now and then.

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
        Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

Color Efex Pro has an awful neat soft focus filter, which offers more control than an "in camera" lens solution. Still, this lens does produce a nice effect.

Comment

I like the effect. Never knew there was a lens like this out there before. The key hole photo has to be my favorite though. The soft effect just works for the photo.

Comment

Originally posted by thebdt View Post
              Color Efex Pro has an awful neat soft focus filter, which offers more control than an "in camera" lens solution. Still, this lens does produce a nice effect.

The Glamor glow filter is similar in CEP 3.0. but I don't think you get this exact effect. Heck, I can do this without trying on my reg 135L hahahahaha

Nice Job TY!
              m+m Photography
              My Pbase

Comment

Ty, what is this soft focus thing? Everything looks normal to me.

What was your aperture on #3?
                Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
                Cheers
                John
                Flickr
                Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
                Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
                Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
                Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
                Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
                Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
                Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
                (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

#3 was shot at f/4 all the others at f/2.8. You can dial in the amount of softness you want on the lens. I believe #3 was shot with very little or no soft focus engaged.

Comment

keyhole pic...hands down. Perfect.

Comment

I like the key hole shot and it works really well there. After looking at these, I think I prefer adding soft focus in post.
                      Always think positive, but expect the worst and nothing bad will ever happen.

http://hanratty.smugmug.com

Gear:
                      Olympus E-30
                      Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 (28-84mm conversion)
                      Olympus 40-150mm f/4-5.6 (80-300mm conversion)
                      Olympus 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (140-600mm conversion)

Comment

Working...
                      X