Recommend a light?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a light?

Sorry for being such a newb if this is in the wrong category or has been asked a thousand times.

I have a 20d and a 50d. I like using flash off camera, mainly for portraits. I have a580ex and I sometimes use it on camera, sometimes off camera on a lightstand. I also have some big studio strobes but they are not very portable.

I am looking for an additional portable light to use off camera, primarily. Ideally it would be Canon TTL compatible so, if needed, I could throw it on the camera at a wedding for example and have two bodies with flashes mounted.

But I am open to the idea of one that won't work on camera if I can get something cheap or especially cool. Anyone have a suggestion in the $200 or less range? Would an old 380ex or 480ex maybe work for this? I already have an extra pocket wizard and hotshoe to 1/8 connector. I would like to hear replies from people who are doing something similar if possible.

Thanks in advance,
    rob

Re: Recommend a light?

Rob,
    Theres so many choices out there but to be honest I tend to run into more problems using TTL and 90% of the time if not always I turn it off and end up going manual.
    Its esp hard when you have a wedding group that thinks the photos part is retarded and we're there for us and not them. That really gets you sweating under the collar. If you can I highly recommend saving more $ and getting a Quantum Flash T5D-r, you can control the power from the camera hot-shoe and it will provide more than enough light.
    You can find them on ebay for around $400.00+

Other than that I seen people do some great wedding stuff with hotshoe flashes on stands (Manual Mode?). I also assisted on a wedding where the main photog used his on camera strobe as the master and 2 slaves on the sides with umbrellas.... It looked very impressive until I asked him how it was going. He practically baked every shot and the shots I got with ambient light 35m 1.4L were the ones he delivered.

Since you already have an extra PW and adapter I wouldn't worry to much about TTL unless your going with the Flex TT5 Now thats Cool!
    Last edited by Nick Ruiz; 11-17-2009, 06:16 PM.

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
    Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

Thanks Nick. Yah I usually use my 580ex off camera in manual mode but I do like ETTL for reception shots on the fly or bouncing flash around walls etc, I usually use ETTL and just comp up as needed with the camera's controls. It would be cool to have another flash to just hand off to my wife in auto mode and say" take this camera and go get some goofy group shots" which is why I am leaning toward another Canon speedlight. hmmmmm..... lots of decisions to make. Oh yeah- my wife's Filipino so I will also work for lumpia. In fact I often do :-)

any other good quantum models to rec?
      Last edited by balance-digital; 11-17-2009, 06:40 PM.

Comment

All Quantums are good, The one I mentioned is great cause its compatible with Nikon or Canon, you just have to get the right hot-shoe adapter to control it.
        Theres one that Id still love to get but don't really see them for sale used or complete for that matter. Its a Halogen light made by Lowel.
        I myself would prefer to buy it used with a battery, barn doors etc.

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
        Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

Working...
        X