Diffuser + Honeycomb effect ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diffuser + Honeycomb effect ??

i just got my first flash (Sigma EF 530 DG Super) and been playing with it. Thanks a ton for the guys who got it working for me

Here is my problem. I am taking pictures of my ipod. the pictures come out too shiny. i used a honeycomb so i can light only the ipod and not everything around it. but the flash looks too harsh to me. is there a way to get diffused looking light and have it contained to a small area?

Re: Diffuser + Honeycomb effect ??

Can you show us what your getting?

Even being bare bulb with the grid you should still have control over your exposure.

This shot here was done with my Promaster flash on the right and a reflector on the left.
    The background was no more than 1 foot away.

Post a shot along with the meta data so we can see whats going on

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
    Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

i'll post some images when i get home. maybe a reflector will help. on your shot, where was the flash positioned?

the problem might be my ignorance

Comment

Flash was on the right side of the arrows.

If you seen the setup you would think I was out of my mind.

I used my daughters cinderella table & Clamps to hold my Quiver with the arrows and black bed sheets as the background, it was worse than it sounds.

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
        Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

Make sure the shiny surface of the ipod isn't reflecting flash into the lens. Light it at a glancing angle.
          Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
          Cheers
          John
          Flickr
          Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
          Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
          Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
          Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
          Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
          Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
          Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
          (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

il try the light at glancing angle or maybe try to not hit the ipod directly and use a reflector.

the other issue is that in my little project, i cannot change the aperture or the shutter speed. i can change the iso, but i have it at 100 and thats my camera's lowest. so im trying to light the ipod as best as i can with the flash. il post the picture (and how well i do) in a few days and maybe some setup pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by aspire View Post
              il try the light at glancing angle or maybe try to not hit the ipod directly and use a reflector.

the other issue is that in my little project, i cannot change the aperture or the shutter speed. i can change the iso, but i have it at 100 and thats my camera's lowest. so im trying to light the ipod as best as i can with the flash. il post the picture (and how well i do) in a few days and maybe some setup pictures.
              That CAN be a problem. Is your flash all the way down to 1/128 power? If you need to kill the power more you can put a sheet of velum or white tissue between the lens and the grid. I'd try cutting a rectangle out of one of those translucent yogurt lids. You can even layer them to increase it. If you're using my "HAPA Grid" you should have plenty of room to stack them up. Also, try getting more distance between flash and ipod. with that grid the spread should be that bad even if you move the flash 3 feet.

Why do you not have aperture control?
              Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
              Cheers
              John
              Flickr
              Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
              Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
              Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
              Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
              Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
              Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
              Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
              (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

Working...
              X