120mm film processing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120mm film processing

Anyone know a good place to develop 120mm film that isn't in downtown San Diego? I used to go to Gaslamp Photo or something like that but they have lame hours of M-F 9-4 or something ridiculous like that. Now that I'm no longer in college, I can't make it there. I know Chrome's is open for a little bit on Saturday but since I live in Rancho Bernardo, that's hardly convenient... any suggestions?

Re: 120mm film processing

You might want to try some mailers.

Comment

Chrome used to have a Sorrento Valley location, but it's not listed on their web site any more. You may call them and ask them if they still have that faciltiy open.

I think you can take you film to Calumet in Escondido, but they send it to either Chrome of Swann (in OC).

You may also consider processing it yourself. B&W is easy and inexpensive, and color isn't that hard!

BVStaples

Comment

I've had bad experiences with Chrome. Apparently other people have too; their Sorrento Valley location is indeed closed (they had notices up last year that it would be closed by 2008). It would be interesting to hear about some OC places...

Comment

I've been using Chrome for many years. I worked in publishing for many years, and they use to process most of my E-6 work. Never had an issue with them. Now I have them processing my 120 and LF E-6 work (though this is now my personal work). And back when I use to shoot film for my astrophotography, I had them develop my color shots (again E-6).

To this day I have no issues with them. I'm sorry to hear other have had issues. There's nothing worse than having your work screwed up.

Comment

Chrome always did an excellent job processing my E-6 rolls; I had problems with their prints a couple of times. They tended to crop willy-nilly, reinterpreting the image entirely with the crop, often ruining my intended composition; I was doing lots of grungy, lo-fi work with them, and they kept 'cleaning up' my very carefully, purposely 'dirty' compositions. Also, one 8x10 print I got slowly turned pink the evening I brought it home from Chrome; it also had a huge pink blotch on the upper right corner.

When I came in to get it redone, they got defensive and claimed the fault was in the overexposed negative. The negative was indeed overexposed, but somehow that wasn't a problem when they made a first, smaller print from it (I included the original print as a reference for what I wanted in the 8x10). If they had just apologized and redone the print I'd still be using them today. The person I spoke with at the counter was the technician who made it, and he was very angry and defensive and originally didn't want to redo the print for me, offering just a straight refund, acting like he wanted me out of the store. I eventually spoke to a manager, but when HE got defensive that's when I decided to stop patronizing them.

A little later on, when I got my own scanner to avoid using them, I found that the overexposed negative had a BLUE cast (not a pink one), which was easily corrected in Photoshop. Actually, I wound up producing a print from it that I preferred over theirs a great deal; seeing the negative for myself, through my scanner, just put Chrome in that much worse of a light in my mind.

I guess there's a silver lining: my experience with Chrome inspired me to do my all own film in B&W so I would have total creative control (and no one to blame errors on but myself). I do regret having to mail my color film off; it has turned me off from color film; I work almost exclusively in digital for color now. All my prints, from 4x6 to 8x10, come from Costco now. Chrome lost any potential poster work I might have given them to Adorama; sure I have to wait for shipping from New York, but I have been nothing but delighted with the couple of poster-prints I got back from Adorama, and would not hesitate to recommend them. When I called ahead before an order, they even took the time to listen to what I was trying to acheive and to recommend Kodak Metallic, which really added to the work.

Does anyone know of really good and easy E-6 kits? I know Freestyle lists a variable temperature Arista kit, but I'm scared to take the plunge...

Comment

Working...
            X