Canon 70-200 2.8 IS USM L Series

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 70-200 2.8 IS USM L Series

Well I finally did it. I ordered my new lens, the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS USM, L series. I rented one a while back from Lensrentals.com and fell in love with it. So I saved my pennies and bought it new on Ebay from a company called Digicam out of New York state. (Its not the gray market version) I was disapointed in the local prices $1800 - $2000, B&H was $1700 as was Adorama. I paid $1557 with free shipping. I'll let you know how the rest of the experience goes. It's due to be delivered on Wednesday and the UPS tracking shows it to be on time. Being the cautiously optimistic type, we'll see.

The funny thing about the local shops is the accessories that come with it. Someplaces you get the front and rear caps as usual, but some of the locals seem to hold back either the hood or the tripod ring and still charge the same price or they hit you full price $2000 for what I'm getting at $1557, caps, hood and tripod ring. Interesting.

Re: Canon 70-200 2.8 IS USM L Series

Originally posted by Lburk View Post
    The funny thing about the local shops is the accessories that come with it. Someplaces you get the front and rear caps as usual, but some of the locals seem to hold back either the hood or the tripod ring and still charge the same price or they hit you full price $2000 for what I'm getting at $1557, caps, hood and tripod ring. Interesting.

First off, cool to see that you're getting a lens you will most likely use a whole lot. Should be a fantastic pairing with your 40D.

Secondly, that is the kind of bsing tactics that are pushing everyone with internet access away from buying at brick and mortars. What exactly would you have gained if you had bought local in this situation, aside from "supporting the local economy" and hopefully helping the b&m to be around "when you really need it?" Service is debatable, warranty and exchange policies are likely to be more liberal and less of a hassle than having to go down to the store during regular business hours...

Sorry for the mini-rant and tangent-hopping, but maybe if the local guys are on this board cruising for opinions they will get an idea of what they need to change to get back a whole bunch of people's repeat business.
    See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

Congrats Burk, can't wait to borrow it .
      Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
      Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Starks View Post
        Congrats Burk, can't wait to borrow it .
        You do mean rent it, right?

Comment

Gonna do a brotha like that?
          Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Comment

Lburke. I was just curious as to why you spent the extra for the IS version. With a non IS version, you would have had money left for a nice prime say a 85mm f1.8 or a 50mm f1.4. It seems to me that one can handhold a 70-200mm fairly easily with the use of the camera strap across your shoulder or a monopod if needed. I purposely got the non IS version for that reason. IMO IS would be good for 300mm and up which is when the barrels get larger and the lenses heavier.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Starks View Post
              Gonna do a brotha like that?
              No. But I thought I'd throw it in due to my strange sense of humor.

Comment

Good cuz we both know I shoot more than you have time to so give the lens a happy home!
                Marshall

Comment

Gotta love that $200 rebate! Mine was $1499 plus shipping, just received it last Friday!

Edit: Just noticed Adorama raised the price by $100 since I ordered last Wednesday.
                  Last edited by randaddy; 05-10-2009, 03:56 PM.
                  randyzhu.com
                  Flickr

Comment

Do he does mean borrow it. Any time he gets near me my 100-400 seems to be wandering onto his grubby little silver bullet. This is how he keeps his costs down and gets to use the better quality stuff: Wait for someone else to buy it.
                    Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

http://dkbarto.daportfolio.com

Comment

Originally posted by dkbarto View Post
                      Do he does mean borrow it. Any time he gets near me my 100-400 seems to be wandering onto his grubby little silver bullet. This is how he keeps his costs down and gets to use the better quality stuff: Wait for someone else to buy it.
                      This man tells no lies...
                      Marshall

Comment

Who wanted to charge you more for what actually comes in the box? (The lenses I have purchased from nelsons, inlucing my 70-200, came with all the stuff.) that is a very odd thing.

The IS, while adding a bit to the cost, is very useful with this lens when shooting low light. I have done a bunch of theatre work with it and even when on a monopod the percentage of keepers with the IS is much higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Renay Johnson View Post
                          Lburke. I was just curious as to why you spent the extra for the IS version. With a non IS version, you would have had money left for a nice prime say a 85mm f1.8 or a 50mm f1.4. It seems to me that one can handhold a 70-200mm fairly easily with the use of the camera strap across your shoulder or a monopod if needed. I purposely got the non IS version for that reason. IMO IS would be good for 300mm and up which is when the barrels get larger and the lenses heavier.
                          Good question Renay. The IS comes in handy when shooting airshows and some wildlife shots. Sometimes it just makes it easier when tracking your object and you get that little shake while moving or have been hold the camera for long periods. I do have the Canon L series 300mm IS. I really like that, but sometimes it just doesn't fit what I'm trying to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by dkbarto View Post
                            Yeah funny how it happens like that. Marshalls' gonna have to buy us a nice lunch sometime. Like Ruth Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by tonyz View Post
                              Who wanted to charge you more for what actually comes in the box? (The lenses I have purchased from nelsons, inlucing my 70-200, came with all the stuff.) that is a very odd thing.

The IS, while adding a bit to the cost, is very useful with this lens when shooting low light. I have done a bunch of theatre work with it and even when on a monopod the percentage of keepers with the IS is much higher.
                              Ritz and Adorama right off the top. I want to say Georges, but I could be wrong there.

Comment

Working...
                              X