Nelson Photo - Little Italy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nelson Photo - Little Italy

I actually had a pleasant experience here last night. I headed over there to pick up some b&w film/paper to get my girlfriend started in her Photo 101 class before we can roll up to Freestyle to get stocked up for cheaper...

Tri-X was cheaper than at the drugstore (CVS carries 24 exp. rolls for $5.19 or 5.99) by a buck and change, and the sales guy was actually friendly. He's only there on Mondays and Fridays though, which is probably why I hadn't run into him before.

We also picked up a tripod mounting plate for her "new" Cullman 2503.

Overall, 10/10. Friendly, fast, had the stuff in stock. Prices were a bit higher than I thought they might be, but they gave us 10% off the prices listed on stickers without asking. I will definitely go back here before stepping inside George's again.
    See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Re: Nelson Photo - Little Italy

Good to hear! When I picked up my 50mm I checked out George's first and they treated me like I was wasting their time. So I left and went to Nelson's since it's just down the street from my office and everyone there was really cool and super helpful.

I even told them my George's story and they thanked me for giving them a shot, the manager gave me her card and we chatted for a bit - Great experience! ...oh and the price for the lens was the same as over at George's. I'm not sure if George's does this as well, but I thought it was really cool that some guy was interested in a 300mm but couldn't decide - so one of the guys behind the counter slapped it on the customer's body and told him to go outside and take some shots and see how he liked it first!
    www.garryh.com

Strike the Design

Comment

Originally posted by GarryHall View Post
      Good to hear! When I picked up my 50mm I checked out George's first and they treated me like I was wasting their time. So I left and went to Nelson's since it's just down the street from my office and everyone there was really cool and super helpful.

I even told them my George's story and they thanked me for giving them a shot, the manager gave me her card and we chatted for a bit - Great experience! ...oh and the price for the lens was the same as over at George's. I'm not sure if George's does this as well, but I thought it was really cool that some guy was interested in a 300mm but couldn't decide - so one of the guys behind the counter slapped it on the customer's body and told him to go outside and take some shots and see how he liked it first!
      I had the exact same experience when looking to buy my XTi. The guy at Georges kept looking over my shoulder to see what else was going on and asking questions was like trying to yank a tooth out of his mouth. I put up with it as long as I had the patience for, but ultimately said "Forget this!" and headed to Nelson's.

By the time I got there, it was close to closing time, but the guy helping me was pleasant, never seemed rushed and pretty much took the time to talk to me, answer my questions and make me feel good about my purchase.

Now, a year and a half later, I only go to George's if I need something small and quick (uv filter, etc) and Nelson's Camera gets all my serious business!

Comment

Sounds like Tony Amat took care of you. If so, he's good people and fun to talk story with. He always has funny stories to tell. When you go to Freestyle, ask for Michael Tullberg. He's a buddy of mine and a stringer for Getty.
        Last edited by Nick Ruiz; 09-03-2009, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I've enjoyed shopping there too.

Comment

I bought my 50mm f1.8 and my backpack there. Never felt rushed and it was even during some big event weekend for them. I liked the service when I was there, just wish the prices weren't 30% higher than anywhere else.
            Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
            Cheers
            John
            Flickr
            Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
            Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
            Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
            Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
            Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
            Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
            Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
            (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

Price wasn't the case for every item. Bought my pocket wizards there for the same at b and h. Plus got my light scope kit there for the same price. I guess it just all depends what you need.

Comment

I like Nelson's and I use them or Calumet in Escondido. I shy away from George's because I usually come out of there feeling like I want to smack someone. Last time I was in there about six months ago, they were out of both the medium and large format films I wanted, and when I asked when they would be getting some in, one of the guys behind the counter commented that 'film was dying, go digital.' Only the girl up front is nice, but then she's just administrative help. Funny thing, when George's had a La Jolla shop, they were the complete opposite.

George's—are you listening? I'm not sure how you stay in business, but you would have more if you guys just stopped treating us like we had cooties or something!

Comment

Originally posted by BVStaples View Post
                  Last time I was in there about six months ago, they were out of both the medium and large format films I wanted, and when I asked when they would be getting some in, one of the guys behind the counter commented that 'film was dying, go digital.'
                  You should have asked him where they're selling 100+ megapixel cameras. After he looks at you all puzzled, you can explain to him the effective resolution of 4x5.

I used to go to George's because they were close. Now that they're not close, I certainly won't go out of my way to patronize them. They steered me into a really bad lens purchase once.

Comment

Working...
                  X