Flash Workshop Assignment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash Workshop Assignment

Thanks again for a great turn-out at the Flash Workshop! Unfortunately we did not have bright sunlight to create harsh shadows so I was not able to show you how to shoot with harsh light. But you should now have the knowledge and tools to get rid of harsh shadows. So here are some suggested assignments: POST YOUR PHOTOS IN THE SHOWCASE SECTION (CLICK HERE)

1. Shoot photos of friends and family at high noon. Use a diffuser on your hot shoe mounted flash. Underexpose the photo to keep the sky or background from blowing out (this will also reduce the effect of the harsh sun) and use your flash exposure compensation to adjust for the underexposure. At this point don't worry about trying to get some award winning photo. Concentrate on reducing or getting rid of the harsh shadow caused by the sun. Here are some sample photos

2. Slow shutter with flash. As discussed at the workshop - shoot at twilight or in low light conditions. Meter for the background which will force you shutter speed to be slow - anywhere between 1/20th of a second to perhaps several seconds. Here, the flash pulse will act as the shutter to freeze motion. If your subject is moving you should get some cool "ghosting" of your subject. Here are some samples.

Here are some additional assignments for the previous workshops (DSLR101, Advanced DSLR, and Lens Workshops). Click HERE to see the assignments. Click HERE for more practice ideas.

Last edited by Ty; 02-16-2009, 12:03 AM.
    Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Re: Flash Workshop Assignment

Nobody has anything to share here?

I'll be giving both of these a shot for practice.
    See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

Me, too! Thanks for the reminder, Fix!
      Colleen
      Sony A700, 18-70mm 3.5-5.6, 75-300mm 4.5-5.6, 50mm 1.4, 85mm Carl Zeiss 1.4, HVL-F36AM Sony flash, Alien Bees B1600 monolight

Comment

I was thinking about it lately and wanting to do the fill flash exercise this weekend. We'll see...
        My posts are natural products. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Comment

Finally did some slow shutter drag stuff and remembered this thread:
          Attached Files
          See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

Working...
          X