Reverse Engineer This!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Engineer This!

Hi everyone! I'm putting together a new series called Reverse Engineer This! Here's how it works. I will host a photo shoot where I will pick an ad from a magazine. The goal of the shoot is to duplicate the shot from the magazine ad. This is not about being creative, but more about what it takes to get a specific result. Imagine that you are doing an advertising shoot for a client, and they want a very specific look for which they are willing to pay handsomely. The catch? They are going to press in two hours so they need the shot NOW! How would you do it?

The shoot will be limited to no more than four photographers. At the beginning of the session I will show you the magazine ad and you will all draw straws. The unlucky person will then set up the shoot while others watch. The shooter will have a total of 25 shots and 45 minutes (including any post processing time) to reproduce the ad. The shooter may use other photogs as assistants, but they will not be allowed to give suggestions. If he/she is successful, then everyone just saw how the shot was done. If he/she fails, others will pitch in to make the shot work. In the end, everyone will walk away with new ideas and a taste of what it is like to work under pressure.

I will provide all props as well as basic lighting gear (flashes, strobes, softbox, reflectors, etc.) You will need to provide your own camera/lens, any accessories you want to use, and a laptop to do your own post processing.

Let me know if this is something that you all are definitely interested in.

Ty
    Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Re: Reverse Engineer This!

Wow, This would be quite interesting.

The limited number of people means that everyone gets to participate in some way, and everyone learns something.

Sounds like another great set of workshops from the master.
    Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

http://dkbarto.daportfolio.com

Comment

What a way to jolt the brain. If it's on a day off I am definitely in!
      The camera makes you forget you're there. It's not like you are hiding but you forget, you are just looking so much.
      Annie Leibovitz

Comment

Wow! It sounds so complicated and fun. I don't know if I'll be able to do it but I would like to give it a try.
        My posts are natural products. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Comment

Yay for Ty! I've been waiting for you to pull this one out of the bag. I like the shoot format better than a challenge format as well.
          Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
          Cheers
          John
          Flickr
          Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
          Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
          Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
          Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
          Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
          Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
          Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
          (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

May I suggest the first ad?
            Attached Files
            Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
            Cheers
            John
            Flickr
            Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
            Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
            Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
            Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
            Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
            Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
            Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
            (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

i'm so intimidated right now ... but i just got to do it... sign me up Master Ty. Just don't pick me to be first...PLEASE!!!!
              Patrick
              Arsenal:
              Nikon D80
              MB-D80 Grip
              Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D
              Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8D
              Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5 - 5.6 VR
              SB-800 AF Speedlight

Comment

I'm all in!
                See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by Ty View Post
                  The catch? They are going to press in two hours so they need the shot NOW!
                  Hmmm...any job going on press in two hours, especially a magazine job which runs on a web press, is WAY beyond the point of ever adding/swapping a photo out. Now, if you want to delay the schedule by two or three days, then so be it.

This is a very cool project, and similar to what large format photogs do. People who shoot LF will pursue capturing and making the same print as some of the masters... like Adams, Weston, Strand, etc. It's no where as easy or simple as it sounds.

Good luck to the (un)lucky one to draw the draw the short straw!

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BVStaples View Post
                    Hmmm...any job going on press in two hours, especially a magazine job which runs on a web press, is WAY beyond the point of ever adding/swapping a photo out. Now, if you want to delay the schedule by two or three days, then so be it.

This is a very cool project, and similar to what large format photogs do. People who shoot LF will pursue capturing and making the same print as some of the masters... like Adams, Weston, Strand, etc. It's no where as easy or simple as it sounds.

Good luck to the (un)lucky one to draw the draw the short straw!

Brian
                    They're not literally going to press, it was a figure of speech.
                    Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
                    Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Starks View Post
                      They're not literally going to press, it was a figure of speech.
                      I think his sarcasm went a little over your head my friend.
                      Shooting Nikon D90
                      11-16mm f/2.8 of pure Tokina sexiness
                      18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR Nikkor
                      50mm f/1.8 Nikkor
                      35mm f/1.8 Nikkor Dx
                      55-200mm f/4-5.6 DI Quantary -FOR SALE

www.creativesoup.com

Comment

im down
                        website
                        http://shainblumphoto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by inSANe DIEGO View Post
                          May I suggest the first ad?
                          Ya know John, I have this thing against jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. I wasn't born with wings so I'm not supposed to fly outside of a fuselage. Besides it might mess up my hair....
                          The camera makes you forget you're there. It's not like you are hiding but you forget, you are just looking so much.
                          Annie Leibovitz

Comment

We could set up the skydiving shot, but it would be a solo jump. John can dive off my second story balcony. Only problem is the unlucky photog will only get one shot at capturing the photo...hmmm.
                            Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Comment

Great idea Ty! Bring on the challenge!!
                              randyzhu.com
                              Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X