Strobist 101

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strobist 101

Here is your homework. We covered three main styles of light using one strobe.
    1) strobe as main. 2) strobe as "fill". and 3) strobe as an accent.

The assignment. Make two shots using style 1. Make as many captures as needed until you are happy. You should have things dialed in by the 10th shot though so if you're upwards of 50 trips of the shutter, post what you have and we'll try to help. One additional note. When you get the shot as you like it, immediately take it again WITHOUT the flash. That way we can see what it actually contributed. Try to get that ambient exposure balanced with the flash power nicely. Here are some examples. Next week we'll move onto style 2. strobe as "fill".

1) strobe as main.
    a. ambient approx. 3 stops underexposed. strobe is at camera left at eye level.

b. ambient approx. 1 2/3 stops underexposed. strobe is at camera left at approx 45* to front and slightly above subject head.

c. ambient approx. 2 1/3 stops underexposed. strobe is gelled (not covered in ST101) and in hole.

Some tips to help:
    1) Get your ambient exposure down first, then bring in strobe.
    2) Start with your flash at 1/4 power unless it's noon and you are in direct sunlight.
    3) Practice practice practice!

Feel free to contact me with any questions or just post them in this thread.
    Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
    Cheers
    John
    Flickr
    Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
    Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
    Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
    Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
    Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
    Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
    (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Re: Strobist 101

Soon as I get some triggers I'm on it.
    Marshall

If I don't give you a hard time at some point then it just means I don't like you. It's all fun and games.

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
    Current Activity: Daydreaming about his trips in November and December.

Comment

Taken while on a tour of Tree of Life nursery in San Juan Capistrano.

Here is strobe as Main:

And the un-strobbed original.
      Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

http://dkbarto.daportfolio.com

Comment

The flare, Is that Post... Cause if it is thats awesome! Its a lil too perfect..lol

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

That flare was intentional and in the photo. Nothing done in post except conversion to JPEG for posting to the forum.
          Without others thinking you are good, it doesn't matter how good you think you are.

Comment

love the flare.
            i think the flash is a bit harsh on the lady's face. it worked well on the guy.

in the unstrobed version, hair light is awesome. this effect is lost in the strobed version.

Comment

That's no lady.

That's my wife.

Really - Katherine - the 'k' in dkbarto.

Comment

ok ok...was i supposed to know before responding to ur post?

Comment

Ahh.. The better half! :-P

Comment

I'll try to get this done by tonight. No promises though
                    My posts are natural products. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Comment

Ok John...here is my go at it.

Cowboys and Indians
                      Story:
                      Bear the cowboy (yes I know it's a dog but my kids named him Bear) and Tiger the Indian were playing hide and go seek with the kids. They decided to hide right by the stairs (I know...they aren't very good hiders). The kids opened the door to the room to find Bear and Tiger huddling together trying not to be seen.

EXIF:
                      F4, 1/125, ISO 400
                      430EXII, camera left at eye level, 1/64 power

Photo without flash
                      My posts are natural products. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Comment

Bravo, Good Show!

Comment

David. Where was your flash in that shot? For as strong as it is I think I'd see a little bit of shadow somewhere. It looks like it was on camera. From what I can tell, it looks like you would have been fine with the chosen flash power, just with the aperture closed up a little more.
                          Cheers
                          John
                          Flickr
                          Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
                          (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

Celin- Great job! My question to you. Assuming that 1/64 was not the lowest setting on your flash, what would you have done to get more ambient light involved WITHOUT changing shutter speed but also retain the exposure contributed by flash?
                            Cheers
                            John
                            Flickr

Comment

The flash was at arms length to my left, as I didn't have anything to set it on, and no-one in the immediate area to hold it further away. I was quite a way back from the actual location, as I was using a 90mm lens (for the macro ability for the Bokeh contest) and just happen to see the opportunity to get in a little strobist work and thus kill 2 birds with 1 stone, as it were.

Comment

Working...
                              X