Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strobist 101 workshop November 7th

***ATTENTION!!! Date has been changed to Saturday November 7. ***

Hello future and beginning strobists. If you want to learn more about strobist techniques and philosophies, this is the place to start. This will be the first in a series of off-camera portable strobe workshops. This workshop will be an introduction to the basic concepts that are at the core of strobist technique. Examples using the strobist techniques in this and later workshops can be found on my Flickr. Here are some examples that are specific to this workshop.

***Due to possible RF trigger interference the attendance limit is set at 16 for the time being***

Date: November 7, 2009 (Saturday)
    Time: 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM (workshop will be 3 hours with a couple of short breaks)
    Location: My backyard (Rancho Penasquitos close to Black Mountain Road and HWY 56)

Cost: SDPF Membership based scale (Please, cash only. Thanks)
    $20-Platinum
    $25-Gold
    $30-Silver
    $35-Bronze
    $40-member
    $50-non-member

Some of the instruction in Strobist 101 will include:
    -the basic strobist kit
    -shutter, aperture, and ISO settings theory as related to strobe photography
    -ways to control light spill, power, and quality (softness/hardness) and when to use which
    -basic one light setup as fill, key, and backlight (and its variations)
    -balancing, limiting, eliminating ambient light.
    -hands-on time for each of the above mentioned uses of a strobe
    -ways of quickly determining your settings to lessen the amount of chimping* needed.

*Chimping- the act of shooting then viewing the image on the LCD, making adjustments, then shooting again.

Equipment needed:

Required-you
    -your camera
    -your camera’s manual

Recommended, but not 100% necessary. (If you have, please bring to share. If you don’t, please wait to purchase.)
    -at least one hotshoe flash with manual capabilities (along with operation manual if you have it)
    -flash sync devices (sync cables, RF triggers, IR triggers)
    -any modifiers you already have for your flash(es)
    -reflectors

Prerequisites:
    -complete understanding of theory and use of shutter, aperture, and ISO settings as related to natural light photography
    -proficient menu navigation skills of your camera
    -knowledge of your flash’s settings- how to put into manual mode and adjust power (for Nikon shooters with CLS capable bodies and flashes, knowledge of how to activate CLS mode would be a plus). Please do this research on your own and be ready before the workshop. Nikon users can PM me with questions.

A note about workshop format:
    At various points during the workshop we will separate into groups of three or four. Each member of the group will take turns being tog, grip, and model. This will also allow one flash and one trigger method to be shared amongst three or four people. Keeping each group specific to one brand of camera helps, but is not totally required.

Please goto this thread to sign up for the workshop. Include:
    1. what camera you will be using.
    2. how many flashes, what model and brand.
    3. how many triggers (including type).

This is so I may start to figure out the groups. If you have others you want to partner up with send me a PM and I’ll see about grouping you together.
    Last edited by inSANe DIEGO; 11-02-2009, 02:33 PM. Reason: added examples...
    Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
    Cheers
    John
    Flickr
    Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
    Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
    Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
    Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
    Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
    Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
    (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Re: Strobist 101 workshop October 17

For those that have taken Strobist 101, I'm currently writing up the program for Strobist 202. I'm planning to put on Strobist 202 in early December.
    Cheers
    John
    Flickr
    Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
    (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

Hey guys. My apologies for any inconvenience. I have decided to move the Strobist 101 workshop back to Saturday November 7. My work load has gone up and I will likely have to work this weekend to push a hot project out on time. Also, the sign up number is still very low so this will give time for more people to sign up. I think we should have enough people with flashes and triggers attending so those of you with no strobist specific equipment can still attend. If this date change presents a problem please send me a PM asap.

Thank you all.
      Cheers
      John
      Flickr

Comment

Hi,

i would like to join you on November 7th in Rancho Penasquitos.
        I will bring Nikon D200 w/ 18-200mm VR +12-24mm,+50mm 1.8
        Flash SB800
        How do I register ???

Thank you,

Connie

Comment

Bump....

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
          Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

One more week!
            Cheers
            John
            Flickr

Comment

Working...
            X