Post Your Lens Workshop Photos Here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Your Lens Workshop Photos Here

Please post your Lens Workshop Photos in this thread. That way, we can all see how your photos relate to the workshop! Thanks.
    Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Re: Post Your Lens Workshop Photos Here

Here's my last round of shots with various lenses that I grabbed off the table:

50mm f/1.4 USM at f/1.4:

50mm f/1.8 II at f/1.8:

I tried focusing on his glasses, but moved the cam while recomposing and got only his hand in focus. 85mm f/1.2L at f/1.2:

Another 85mm f/1.2L at f/1.2:

The lens collector himself (85mm f/1.2L at f/1.2):

More to come in next post...
    See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

These are all shot with the 85mm f/1.2L at f/1.2. Basically just snapshots showing off the crazy short depth of field, and super smooth bokeh:

Last edited by Fixcinater; 11-09-2008, 10:20 AM.
      See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

85mm 1.2 again, wide open:

70-200 2.8 wide-open at 200mm and 70mm:

Comment

My 50mm 1.8 paying homage to the 200mm 1.8:

Sharpness at 1.8 versus 5.6 (Stop that cheap lens down for best sharpness!)

f/1.8:

f/5.6:

Comment

Great shots Anthony.
            Jeff
            http://picasaweb.google.com/jholzphoto

Comment

Anybody else have comments?

This workshop seemed more to confirm/re-affirm what I had already noticed/learned than Advanced DSLR class did, but I believe I picked up a good deal of ability to determine what lens would be more appropriate for each shot as I walk around and want to take them.

Again, as I said in my other post, feel free to flame away on any shots you may see me post, I'm here to learn and improve, so if you'll take the time to be constructive and give input, I'd greatly appreciate comments and critiques from anybody!

Thanks JHolz, we're both definitely stepping up the game! I feel a challenge coming on for this month's contest, whatever it is!

Comment

Question,

Why or what was the purpose of stopping down to 5.6 rather than the manufactures spec'd F/8?

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
                Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

Anthony, good to see you playing around. As you found out, shooting fast lenses wide open can cause problems when you recompose. Are you controlling your focus points manually? This usually helps minimize recomposition movement. On my screen, it looks like you've got the contrast and saturation turned up just a bit too high. If you recall in the earlier workshops, I mentioned that the in-camera sharpness, contrast, and saturation are great tools, but they can quite easily be overdone. I've been guilty of that myself.

Also look at the dark areas in the photos like the lens bag/cases and check your white balance. Keep up the work! This is how you become better....gotta practice!

Ty

Comment

Nick- I've noticed that with that 50mm it's much better above 4.0 or so, anywhere in that 4 to 11 range is the sweet spot.

Ty- I didn't adjust my in camera settings as I wanted to compare the better lenses I tried out that day with the settings that made the nifty fifty look "correct" or at it's best.

WB was set to cloudy, I believe, I just left it there so I could focus on the lenses. Good reminder though, it definitely is faster to get it right in camera than in post.

Recomposing, I seem to switch between using the center only, and then sometimes using every point as best fits the scene. Still working on that!

Comment

Nick- I've noticed that with that 50mm it's much better above 4.0 or so, anywhere in that 4 to 11 range is the sweet spot.

Ty- I didn't adjust my in camera settings as I wanted to compare the better lenses I tried out that day with the settings that made the nifty fifty look "correct" or at it's best.

WB was set to cloudy, I believe, I just left it there so I could focus on the lenses. Good reminder though, it definitely is faster to get it right in camera than in post.

Recomposing, I seem to switch between using the center only, and then sometimes using every point as best fits the scene. Still working on that!

Comment

You got some cool shots - and hey, that's my leg in the camo's and my calf looks really small (which it isn't so much - lol!) - so you feel free to shoot my legs whenever you want!
                        Shelly

Comment

Ty, if you hold another one of these workshops, i'll bring out the big boys for everyone to play with. 500 f4, 400 2.8 and possibly our 800 5.6 if it ever gets here!

Comment

Jerod too bad you shoot Canon. I might have borrowed the 400 2.8 and forget to return it. LOL
                            Jeff
                            http://picasaweb.google.com/jholzphoto

Comment

Ok guys....if you thought my 200 f/1.8 was a bad boy....Jerod is talking really big guns here! With those lenses you'll be able to capture the boogers dripping out of an antelope's nose at the wild animal park from 200 yards away! ** lens envy - are you really getting the 800 5.6? **

Comment

Working...
                              X