Thanksgiving Dinner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving Dinner

Photos of most family get-togethers, especially indoors are often not very interesting....but that doesn't have to be the case. Once you get past the obligatory "everyone in the family sitting on the couch say cheese posed photo", then things can get creative and interesting. This is the subject of the up-coming workshop this Sunday Dec. 7th. Here are a few photos from our Thanksgiving dinner a few days ago. There was nothing particularly interesting about what the people in the photos were doing....mostly mundane stuff like washing dishes or cooking. See you at the workshop on Sunday!

Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner

Nice shots Ty. Your next workshop should be on how to get the family over the "deer in the headlights" look. I couldn't seem to get past that point at our dinner. Not to mention the lighting was so dim in the house that my 50mm still was not fast enough at my highest ISO and wide open. When I put the flash on it was all over. Everyone was watching out of the corner of their eye. The flash didn't really help either because the ceilings and walls were dark brown. It could have been a lesson in subtractive lighting.
    Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
    Cheers
    John
    Flickr
    Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
    Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
    Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
    Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
    Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
    Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
    (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

I have the same problems. Everything seems so boring. Your photos are great. They are interesting and portray the day well. My fav's are the last two!
      Colleen
      Sony A700, 18-70mm 3.5-5.6, 75-300mm 4.5-5.6, 50mm 1.4, 85mm Carl Zeiss 1.4, HVL-F36AM Sony flash, Alien Bees B1600 monolight

Comment

Photos look great as always Ty. Do you ever take a horrible picture? I did'nt think so. That last one could second as a Halloween pic.
        Jeff
        http://picasaweb.google.com/jholzphoto

Comment

Here are some from one of my three Thanksgiving dinners. Pre-workshop, of course.

Sigma 24-70 on Canon 40D.

More in next post!!
          See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

Anthony...those are actually really good photos. Nice composition, selective focus, and good use of DOF. Looks like you're set for Xmas photos!
            Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Comment

(Tell me what I did in camera and in post on the first shot compared to the one directly above, and the closest one will win a great old film How-To Photog book that has some great examples, very similar to what Ty has been teaching. I've read through it thrice lately, and I'd like to share the wealth. It's a great big hardcover, perfect for giving away at X-mas to that bored 13 yr old cousin, along with your old manual focus film rig and 10-pack of TMAX 400.) Or, you can write it in your sig that you won and I'll find a kid that needs the book.

14 sucked, so I'm not posting it, so you all think I'm better than I am.

So, looking over these as I was editing/uploading them here, I realized that the shots where I got up close and personal with the item (ie, OH bowl) makes much more impact than when I zoom out/step back/relax and shoot the whole table. This pattern repeats itself in a few of these photos. Go ahead and check it out!

As always, comments/critiques/what the image made YOU feel would be much appreciated!
              See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

Great photos Anthony
                Jeff

Comment

Anything in particular you like, Jeff?

Which one is your fave of the set?

Comment

Fix- These are great! I agree on the close-ups. I especially like the blown out window shot. I'm still working on that. I've concentrated so much on under exposing that I've neglected to build that side (the blown out side) of the spectrum. Well, I guess expect to see quite a bit more of the blown out and washed out varieties from me.

A number of these shots are akin to fine art and stock photography style. Next up on my list as well.
                    Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
                    Cheers
                    John
                    Flickr
                    Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
                    Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
                    Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
                    Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
                    Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
                    Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
                    Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
                    (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

#5... are the glas-ses in water upside down while the reflection of the window curtain make the white lines?
                      Last edited by tvivekanand; 12-12-2008, 10:40 AM. Reason: It makes gl***** to gl*****
                      Vivek's Flickr Page
                      In hibernation

Comment

I think the food shots are great. I think #8 is my favorite. I really like the composition of it and the color. It looks like sepia. I like shots done in sepia.
                        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by inSANe DIEGO View Post
                          Fix- These are great! I agree on the close-ups. I especially like the blown out window shot. I'm still working on that. I've concentrated so much on under exposing that I've neglected to build that side (the blown out side) of the spectrum. Well, I guess expect to see quite a bit more of the blown out and washed out varieties from me.

A number of these shots are akin to fine art and stock photography style. Next up on my list as well.
                          Thanks for the positive reinforcement, I didn't really think I was going to be as happy as I am with these. If you go to my Picasa, you can see full size (10mp JPG) versions that are MUCH better.

Well, since no one is guessing how I post-processed that shot, I'll let 'er rip:

1. Raise contrast.
                          2. Raise black level slider way up.
                          3. Drop white level slider way down so window is totally blown out.
                          4. Realize I'm reducing the dynamic range of the photo and DIGGING IT!
                          5. Adjust contrast to taste.
                          6. Repeat process to make sure I like the treatment of the bottles (they aren't all dark bottles, but raising the black slider made them appear so) and other items on the table, same for curtains.
                          7. Convert to B&W and add sepia toning.

Comment

Originally posted by tvivekanand View Post
                            #5... are the glas-ses in water upside down while the reflection of the window curtain make the white lines?

Exactly! I underexposed it in post, and jacked up the contrast to make it a bit harder to figure out what exactly is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by JHolzPhoto View Post
                              I think the food shots are great. I think #8 is my favorite. I really like the composition of it and the color. It looks like sepia. I like shots done in sepia.

Thanks Jeff. #8 is my fave too, and the bread shot at full size resolution. Looks much better than the small version I posted here.

Comment

Working...
                              X