Thanksgiving Dinner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving Dinner

Photos of most family get-togethers, especially indoors are often not very interesting....but that doesn't have to be the case. Once you get past the obligatory "everyone in the family sitting on the couch say cheese posed photo", then things can get creative and interesting. This is the subject of the up-coming workshop this Sunday Dec. 7th. Here are a few photos from our Thanksgiving dinner a few days ago. There was nothing particularly interesting about what the people in the photos were doing....mostly mundane stuff like washing dishes or cooking. See you at the workshop on Sunday!

Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner

Nice shots Ty. Your next workshop should be on how to get the family over the "deer in the headlights" look. I couldn't seem to get past that point at our dinner. Not to mention the lighting was so dim in the house that my 50mm still was not fast enough at my highest ISO and wide open. When I put the flash on it was all over. Everyone was watching out of the corner of their eye. The flash didn't really help either because the ceilings and walls were dark brown. It could have been a lesson in subtractive lighting.
    Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
    Cheers
    John
    Flickr
    Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
    Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
    Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
    Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
    Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
    Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
    (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

I have the same problems. Everything seems so boring. Your photos are great. They are interesting and portray the day well. My fav's are the last two!
      Colleen
      Sony A700, 18-70mm 3.5-5.6, 75-300mm 4.5-5.6, 50mm 1.4, 85mm Carl Zeiss 1.4, HVL-F36AM Sony flash, Alien Bees B1600 monolight

Comment

Photos look great as always Ty. Do you ever take a horrible picture? I did'nt think so. That last one could second as a Halloween pic.
        Jeff
        http://picasaweb.google.com/jholzphoto

Comment

Anthony...those are actually really good photos. Nice composition, selective focus, and good use of DOF. Looks like you're set for Xmas photos!
          Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Comment

Great photos Anthony
            Jeff

Comment

Fix- These are great! I agree on the close-ups. I especially like the blown out window shot. I'm still working on that. I've concentrated so much on under exposing that I've neglected to build that side (the blown out side) of the spectrum. Well, I guess expect to see quite a bit more of the blown out and washed out varieties from me.

A number of these shots are akin to fine art and stock photography style. Next up on my list as well.
              Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
              Cheers
              John
              Flickr
              Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
              Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
              Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
              Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
              Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
              Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
              Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
              (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

#5... are the glas-ses in water upside down while the reflection of the window curtain make the white lines?
                Last edited by tvivekanand; 12-12-2008, 10:40 AM. Reason: It makes gl***** to gl*****
                Vivek's Flickr Page
                In hibernation

Comment

I think the food shots are great. I think #8 is my favorite. I really like the composition of it and the color. It looks like sepia. I like shots done in sepia.
                  Jeff

Comment

Working...
                  X