What? No Questions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What? No Questions?

Either everyone is really shy or I must have been a great instructor! If you have any questions on past workshop materials, be sure to post them here!
    Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Re: What? No Questions?

I've read about people using the white foam cups over their lens to do WB adjustment. I've recently tried shooting with WB in camera corrected (gray card/white card with custom WB) but I like adjusting it better in post to fit the mood of each shot better.

The only advantage I can see (aside from time spent in post) is that not adjusting each individual shot might help carry the "theme" or look of a shoot, which would only be important if you had the shots right next to each other in a magazine under scrutinizing eyes.

Any other advantages to not adjusting WB manually in post?
    See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

Unless you can adjust WB in post by the Kelvin numbers (9500, 3500, etc) it's possible to have too radical of a change between the different settings. Custom WB in camera is a big advantage when you have multiple sources of light and you need to set WB for the "mix" of light. An example would be a large source of ambient light being bounced into the scene by a big odd colored object such as a building or bus.
      Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
      Cheers
      John
      Flickr
      Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
      Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
      Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
      Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
      Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
      Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
      Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
      (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

John is correct about WB. I only use custom WB when I'm not really sure what the color temperature should be due to weird mixed lighting. I like manual WB control best because I can easily set the mood. As Anthony mentioned, if you are shooting a series of photos that will be scrutinized next to each other, you have to be careful not to mess around with WB, otherwise the series of shots will not flow well.

Comment

How about WB when using flash and ambient? Gels are something I haven't touched yet, but it looks like that's more effective than trying to mess around in post.
          See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Comment

Hmm, I just say a prayer and spray away... kidding I don't use flash much, esp with mixed lighting (permitting) I think its just a given that you will have a lil color shift/cast when using a flash. Amber Gels are good for Red Carpets but you kinda already know the ambient lighting they will use, other situations you might not be so lucky with that amber gel in your bag.
            Any Pro Flash users in the house who can help correct me?

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
            Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

That's a tricky one. If you are using flash as fill or using slow shutter and metering for the background, you have to realize that your flash will be around 5-6000 deg Kelvin to mimic daylight. So, if your ambient is different, then you may need color correction gels. The main color correction gels are CTB (color temperature blue) and CTO (color temperature orange). A CTB gel converts tungsten light of 3200K to 'daylight' color. A CTO gel performs the reverse. Gels that remove the green cast of fluorescent lights are called minus green. Gels that add a green cast are called plus green. Fractions such as 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 indicate the strength of a gel. A 1/2 CTO gel is half the strength of a (full) CTO gel.

Here's an example photo:

Here, I metered for the background but used a color temperature set for the flash. This caused the background (and the blurred face) to take on an orange tint. I did not have gels with me but could have put some sort of CTO over the flash and adjusted WB in camera to get rid of the orange hue. But for this photo I sort of like that orange hue so it didn't bother me.

Comment

A little more info on gelling your flash.

Strobist: Lighting 101: Using Gels to Correct Light

Strobist: Lighting 102: 6.1 - Gelling for Fluorescent

Strobist: Lighting 102: 6.2 - Gelling for Tungsten

Strobist: Lighting 102: Assignment | Work That CTO

Strobist: Lighting 102: CTO Assignment | Discussion
                Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
                Cheers
                John
                Flickr
                Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
                Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
                Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
                Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
                Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
                Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
                Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
                (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

Hey Ty, just wondering if you handed out any reading material from the lens workshop. If so, where can I get a copy to check out?? THANKS!
                  randyzhu.com
                  Flickr

Comment

Grey cards are nice, though in rapidly-shifting light (like dawn or sunset) it can be easy to forget to do them enough during the shoot.

I especially enjoy Camera Raw -- I get one picture from a series just how I want it WB-wise, and then I use Camera Raw to sync all the other pictures in the series. This most always solves the problem of pictures looking incongruent next to each other.

Comment

Here's an example of what I was talking about:
                      Attached Files

Comment

And here is the resulting dialogue:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X