Most Used Lens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Used Lens

Please respond with what is your most oft-used lens, and what kind of photography you are most prone to do.

For me, it's been 50mm 1.8 because that's all that I've had (aside from the sh***y 7-step zoom on my point and shoot and cry.

I haven't really narrowed it down but it seems I do a fair bit of landscapes and then random detail/patterns.
    See my user profile for gear information. Then forget about that stuff and go take pictures! And then some more pictures!

Re: Most Used Lens

This is a hard question to give a specific answer. It really depends on what type of photography you do. If most of my work involves macro then it would probably be a dedicated macro lens like the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8. If it's sports photography, it would be one of the big guns. For general purpose shooting I'd say a 24-70mm f/2.8 would be the one as it covers a normal field of view to moderate telephoto (on a crop sensor). It's fast enough to give blurry backgrounds and low light shooting, it covers the sweet spot for portrait work, and it's reasonable in size and weight. This is my first lens of choice.
    Today's a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Comment

I like a little more reach and opt for the 24-105L f/4, Also the main reason is it fits nicely in my bag.

"I've Got A Fever And The Only Prescription Is More Pictures"

For Quotes And Comissions Please Email Me.

Know Anyone Heading For Foreclosure? I Can Help!

San Diego Wedding and Portrait Photography

Last Activity: 1 Minute Ago
      Current Activity: Banning Spammers

Comment

Of my list of lenses in my sig I use the 18-55 the most. The reason is really based on my shoot opportunities. Most of my opportunities are close-in shots. As a result I hardly dig the 70-300 out of my bag. I don't get to use my 50 as much as I'd like and the 28-82 is a quantaray collecting dust on my N65. I guess it's time to clean it up and take it for a spin.
        Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
        Cheers
        John
        Flickr
        Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
        Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
        Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
        Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
        Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
        Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
        Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
        (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

I really like my 35mm f2.0, which on a 1.6 crop factor works out to about a standard lens (56mm). It's pretty good for portraits on APS-C, and on standard film it's nice for landscapes.

I sort of like my Tamron 28-300 w/ the vibration reduction, but it's kind of soft at either end so I don't use it as much as I might. (The softness is a bit of a sore spot with me).

I got a kit lens from an older film setup, and it has a nice range. I think it's about 30-90mm -- that is what I use for film portraiture (unless the model has a flatter face, in which case the 35mm is acceptable, and also sharper).

Currently, I'm enjoying the brand new "upper-middle class" (as opposed to the infamous "Luxury") Canon lens I just got: the EF-S 60mm Macro (96mm on 1.6 crop). It's very sharp, and 2.8 is almost as effective as 2.0 for blurring and low light. I just got it a week ago today, but I have a couple of model shoots coming up this weekend and I'm eager to put it through its paces. So far I've been very happy with it as a macro lens, and also taking pictures of myself, a couple of friends, etc.

About the only lens I don't use much at all anymore is my Rebel XT kit lens, the 18-55mm. There really isn't anything special about it; it's not as sharp as my primes and not as useful as my other zooms.

I used to use Sigma's entry level 70-300mm, but currently that's on loan to a friend. It's a little sharper than the Tamron, but has some bad Chromatic Aberation in certain circumstances.

Wow, are those all my lenses? I suddenly have a strong desire to get some more...

Comment

Tamron 18-250. I usually shoot fire apparatus and incidents such as fires and accidents. Although lately doing landscapes.
            Jeff
            http://picasaweb.google.com/jholzphoto

Comment

I usually have my Tamron 18-250 on my camera most of the time as well. It's pretty versatile.
              The camera makes you forget you're there. It's not like you are hiding but you forget, you are just looking so much.
              Annie Leibovitz

Comment

All you guys with the big range zooms gotta try the 70-200 f/2.8...once you do, your big zooms will be collecting dust on the shelf.

Comment

Well, of course an L lens is better... :P

Comment

Originally posted by thebdt View Post
                    Well, of course an L lens is better... :P
                    Actually, any zoom with that big of a range will be lesser than even a non-L 80-200. From what I've read in several places the range is so big that both ends are less less than optimal. BUT, they do get you the range, so it's kind of a "pick your evil" type of thing. I know my evil will be having to carry a couple of lenses to cover the same range.
                    Throw a little light. If it doesn't come back, it probably fell off...
                    Cheers
                    John
                    Flickr
                    Nikon D80 (nicknamed Cylopsoid)
                    Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Lovin' it. I could glue it to my camera and be happy.
                    Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 It's the older model w/o the AF motor and it focuses FAST. It's just like the 17-50, only longer.
                    Nikkor 50mm f1.8d <------creammmmmy
                    Nikkor 18-55 kit Now in a deep slumber.
                    Quantaray 28-82 Somewhere in the house.
                    Nikon N65 Back for the resurrection tour! Coming to defend the faith...
                    (This spot being saved for hopefully a G9 or G11) Shhhh, I know those are Canons...

Comment

As I mentioned in the lens workshop, it's extremely difficult to optically design a "do everything" lens - you have to compromise (unless you want to pay $20-30K for the lens). That's why a good prime lens will typically have better image quality and a much bigger maximum aperture, at a fraction of the price of a fast zoom.

Comment

I know that now; I learned it soon after buying the 28-300 lens. *grumble* I was actually considering a different lens at the time, but was talked into the Tamron...

Canon doesn't make a 70-200 that isn't L, so that's why I figured it's an L lens. Even if they did, I'm sure the L would still be better. :P

Comment

Hey Ty I need to get your address so I know where to send my Christmas list
                          Jeff
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/jholzphoto

Comment

Hehehe maybe it would be interesting to post a "what lens do you WISH was your most used" thread.

Comment

Send Christmas list to:

Photo Wish List Dept.
                              Santa's Workshop
                              1 North Pole Lane
                              North Pole
                              Attn: Tytaclaus

Be sure to enclose a self addressed stamped envelope with $10,000 in unmarked bills for expedited service.

Comment

Working...
                              X