X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixcinater
    started a topic Most Used Lens

Most Used Lens

Please respond with what is your most oft-used lens, and what kind of photography you are most prone to do.

For me, it's been 50mm 1.8 because that's all that I've had (aside from the sh***y 7-step zoom on my point and shoot and cry.

I haven't really narrowed it down but it seems I do a fair bit of landscapes and then random detail/patterns.

• Marshall Starks
    replied
    Re: Most Used Lens

Originally posted by randaddy View Post
    +1 on the Sigma 50 1.4. Great image quality, fast AF, and the bokeh is superior to the Canon 1.4 imo (the Sigma has a 9 blade aperture ring and the Canon has 8). Size is relatively small compared to anything else f2.8 or faster.

Pair that up with some high ISO and you can shoot in some pretty dark situations for not a lot of money.
    Truth.

Leave a comment:

• randaddy
    replied

+1 on the Sigma 50 1.4. Great image quality, fast AF, and the bokeh is superior to the Canon 1.4 imo (the Sigma has a 9 blade aperture ring and the Canon has 8). Size is relatively small compared to anything else f2.8 or faster.

Pair that up with some high ISO and you can shoot in some pretty dark situations for not a lot of money.

Leave a comment:

• Timskis6
    replied

7-14mm f/4 on my E-3! Love the creative capabilities of ultra-wide angle - opens a whole new world of photography.

When I'm in the water it's the 14-54mm f/2.8-f/3.5 in the Ikelite, purely for range and weight.

Leave a comment:

• Fixcinater
    replied

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
    trying to decide on a good lens for natural low light situations with limited necessity for a tripod...went to Burning Man and was paralyzed by my 18-250 3.5-6.3 towards dusk...thinking about Canon 85mm 1.8 USM...also considering the 50 mm 1.4...any suggestions?

Set your 18-250 on 50mm for a day and take a whole bunch of shots, and then set it on 85mm for a day and take a whole bunch of shots, including a bunch with people. I have the 100mm f/2.0 (same build as the 85mm) on my 40D and it's quite long to use with people unless you are just looking for headshots. To get half body or full body, you've got to be 1/4 of the way down the block and yelling at them.

The 85mm feels a lot better in hand (build quality, MF ring) and doesn't have some of the issues that the 50mm f/1.4 does. The 50mm f/1.8 is a toy, with pretty good optics. Check out the Sigma 50mm f/1.4, it's huge but has great image quality.

Leave a comment:

• dkbarto
    replied

My next lens is the 50 1.4.

Simply because the 50 1.2 is L glass and costs way too much.

Leave a comment:

• Jessy
    replied

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
    trying to decide on a good lens for natural low light situations with limited necessity for a tripod...went to Burning Man and was paralyzed by my 18-250 3.5-6.3 towards dusk...thinking about Canon 85mm 1.8 USM...also considering the 50 mm 1.4...any suggestions?
    Go for the 50mm 1.4 or 1.8. the wider lens is much more useful and you can crop down to get something more telephoto if you want.

Leave a comment:

• Heidi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• inSANe DIEGO
    replied

Originally posted by Jay View Post
    you guys all sound like pros.. how about for us mere mortals?

For me, it's all about chasing the kids (5yo, 3, & 1)

I keep my 17-55mm 2.8 on my XSi, almost exclusively.

Recently, for kiddie soccer, football, & ballet (indoors), I took the deep plunge and got the 70-200mm 2.8 IS.

They are both also awesome for portraits! I feel pretty much set for now (besides, I'm broke now). If I got another one, it might be the 50mm 1.4
    Jay- I pretty much have the Nikon equivalent of that setup.

Leave a comment:

• Jay
    replied

you guys all sound like pros.. how about for us mere mortals?

For me, it's all about chasing the kids (5yo, 3, & 1)

I keep my 17-55mm 2.8 on my XSi, almost exclusively.

Recently, for kiddie soccer, football, & ballet (indoors), I took the deep plunge and got the 70-200mm 2.8 IS.

They are both also awesome for portraits! I feel pretty much set for now (besides, I'm broke now). If I got another one, it might be the 50mm 1.4

Leave a comment:

• Renay Johnson
    replied

24-70mm and 70-200 for boxing. Those are the only two lenses that I own, but they are good and they get the job done from shooting ringside to shooting through a cage. I don't own much, but what I do own is good stuff maynard!

Leave a comment:

• Ody
    replied

Originally posted by Lburk View Post
    I'd love to buy the Canon 70-200/2.8. Does anyone have an extra $1600.00 laying around they can give me?
    Oh, you want the delux version! I have the non-IS version and it's my most used lens. I've very happy with it.

Leave a comment:

• Lburk
    replied

Originally posted by Ty View Post
    All you guys with the big range zooms gotta try the 70-200 f/2.8...once you do, your big zooms will be collecting dust on the shelf.
    I'd love to buy the Canon 70-200/2.8. Does anyone have an extra $1600.00 laying around they can give me?

Leave a comment:

• Fixcinater
    replied

If I could pick any lens out of Ty's bag it would be the 200 1.8, or 85 1.2.

I'm kind of surprised he doesn't have a 50 1.0 or a leica with a 50 .95 on it.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Ruiz
    replied

hey no cheating the system! lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X